News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of the Modern Republic of Lithuania

Having just been reading the Law on State Awards of 18 June 2002 (which the Lithuanian government has obligingly posted online for the delight of the likes of me!), I've settled down to having a look at the ODM of the modern Republic of Lithuania post 1991.

The highest award is the Order of Vytautas the Great. Harking back to the original, instituted on 1 September 1930 as the premier award of the first republic (1918-1940), it was re-instituted on 12 September 1991. At first it had but a single class - which wore the badge on a sash, with a star and a collar - but it has subsequently expanded to a five-class order, with a special class - the Order of Vytautas the Great with Golden Chain - and an associated Medal.

Being so recent, pictures are hard to come by... but here's the Order of Vytautas the Great with Golden Chain!

The Chain itself consists of links decorated with motifs of the double cross and of the letter V, with the cross of the Order suspended from it. This cross is white-enamelled gold, 50mm long, with a stylised horseman on a red shield (obverse) with a crown above. The reverse has a red shield with the letter V and has the dates of Vytautas the Great's rule (1392-1430) on the arms of the cross. It's suspended from a royal crown with three crystal stones.

Here it is:

The star for this class is gold with nine rays, 85mm in diameter. In the centre, which is red, there is a white cross of the order with a crown above.

My pleasure!

To my delight, today I received permission from the Lithuanian Mint to use their pictures of the State Awards which they manufacture.

So without further ado, the Grand Cross of the Order of Vytautas the Great: -

Badge:

Star:

This shows the white ribbon with orange edge stripes of the Order, and the Star as being similar to the one already shown but with a blue-enamelled centre and being silver rather than gold.