News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, gentlemen!

I just bought this slightly faded but quite rare (hopefully) family portrait with a Landwehr or Reserve Prussian officer (Major/Oberstleutnant).

Head of the family is the holder of two Vatican awards, namely:

- The Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulture of Jerusalem (neck award + breast star);

- The Pontifical Order of Pope St.Sylvester (knight's cross).

Could you please post your expertise as I'm not familiar with the Vatican awards :unsure:

The questions are:

1. Is it possible to identify that officer judging from those awards?

2. Please clarify an issue with the exact grades of awards he wears.

Here are two close-ups.

Hi Freiwillige,

Char. Oberstabsartz d.L. a.D. Dr. Wilhelm Nießen of Reserve-Lazarett I Neuenahr, taken sometime after his promotion to that rank on 12 December 1916. In civil practice, Sanitätsrat and head doctor at the Maria-Hilf hospital in Neuenahr.

Apart from the two Papal decorations, he wears the Hohenzollern Honour Cross (HEK3) and the Landwehr Officers' Long Service Decoration 1st Class (LD1).

Regards

Glenn

Many thanks for your help, Glenn!!!

And any ideas regarding a reliable online resource to read about those Papal awards? All that I came across concentrates on the modern day situation or digs too deep in the history covering medieval years, and mostly not on decorations but rather on the existence of the Order itself)

I am not sure about online, but the two orders are included in the "Handbuch der Ritter- und Verdienstorden" by Maximilian Gritzner. Oberstabsarzt Dr. Nießen is wearing a commanders' (Komtur) cross of the Holy Sepulture (OhGr2) and a Knights' Cross of the St.Sylvester (PS3) both awarded sometime after his 21 February 1909 retiral from Landwehr service before the war.

Regards

Glenn

Here is Dr. Nießen's entry in the State Medical Calendar of 1914. The abbreviations are somewhat different from those in the Prussian Armly List:

PpHG2a: Päbstlicher Orden von Heiligen Grabe Kommandeurkreuz mit Stern.

PpS: Ritter des Päbstlichen Silvesterordens.

Regards

Glenn