News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

508th PIR grouping

• 3 weeks later...

While this soldier was airborne, he must not have been Infantry. Even though the ETO service medal has three battle stars, there is no corresponding CIB and Bronze Star Medal. IIRC, wasn't there an initiative to retroactively award the Combat Action Badge to WW2 vets who were ineligible for the CIB? Since these men are dying out, it shouldn't be the nightmare it might have been ten years earlier, and many old veterans' awards are catching up with them.

dmiller8 - I did not get everything. His award card for the 508th PIR (see earlier post) said he had the parachute badge, Combat Infantryman badge, 1 Arrowhead and 5 campaign stars on the EAME ribbon. The history of the 508th PIR gives him credit for the arrowhead for the jump into Southern France (probably with the 509th PIR). I don't think he ever applied for the Bronze Star. Captain Albert

Edited by army historian