News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Sacred Teasure, 3rd Class Document

Dieter3

A November eBay acquisition, finally arrived. I'm kinda surprised that so few people were interested in this one, but possibly because it was mounted and framed (poorly) that nobody was really interested. I'm actually not a fan of this either becasue few people know how to properly mount anything, let alone back in the 50's if that's when this was mounted.

Anyway, awarded to William Rogers Herod, an instrumental person in the ranks of International General Electric/General Electric Corp. This was a nicely researchable gent. Apparently was also an army reserve officer and served in both World Wars, a board member of the New York Philharmonic, in addition to being an engineer. Gotta dig deeper.

Anway, let's start with the bad my friends. Tip#1 - DON'T PACK GLASS simply in a box with ZERO protection. Here is the "crunchy" result. I'm sure my face was priceless when I picked up the box, but I was not surprised for some reason.

Here is the actual bare document. Not actually in terrible shape considering. Typical discoloration to be expected - BUT thankfully the front piece of glass was NOT smashed and protected the document from the shards from the back piece of glass. A low number, and issued in 1957. I didn't think re-issuing of medals happened until the 60's? Clearly I am incorrect. :blush:

I will be taking the document to a conservationist next week for assessment. Probably have the document lifted from the backing and properly mounted and framed for archival storage. Probaly cost 5x the document cost! :lol:

Edited by Dieter3

Here is the actual bare document. Not actually in terrible shape considering. Typical discoloration to be expected - BUT thankfully the front piece of glass was NOT smashed and protected the document from the shards from the back piece of glass. A low number, and issued in 1957. I didn't think re-issuing of medals happened until the 60's? Clearly I am incorrect. :blush:

attachicon.gif3a.JPG

I will be taking the document to a conservationist next week for assessment. Probably have the document lifted from the backing and properly mounted and framed for archival storage. Probaly cost 5x the document cost! :lol:

Check the 3rd issue of my newsletter, which has detailed info on the awards given from 1951 to 1960. Did you forget that?

Rich, thank you for the reminder! I did indeed go back and check the newsletter as I had totally forgotten this. I'm lucky if I can remember what happened just yesterday! :blush: And it typically takes several poundings of information to make it stick in my gray matter. :lol:

I should also add that the seller made fair and just compensation for the damage, so I do appreciate that, and nobody on this forum that I know of.

Edited by Dieter3

Omigosh, my heart would have skipped several beats after lifting a supposedly solid package only to hear loose, tinkling sounds coming within.

I'm glad the document itself is largely intact.

Rich, it's long time I subscribed to your excellent newsletter. Will send you a PM about subscribing and picking up back-issues too.

Wowwwwwww!

You were lucky. My heart also always skips a beat when I hear the shattered glass sound.

More importantly- your guy was THE guy who built GE in the 1950s into the global giant it became. It was a 'Mad Men" world. He was a Yale grad, a brilliant mathematician and a doughboy (also a Reserve Army Officer in the 1920s/30s).

Eisenhower was his friend and Herod later headed up the NATO defense coordination panel- which decided which country was going to produce what bit of military hardware in the 1950s and 1960s. he was also the Chair of IIEE board- which send s lots and lots of young people around the world on cultural and family exchanges.

You can bet the KGB had a file on him 2 feet thick.

Oh man, to have had HIS stock options!

He was a BIG contrast to "slash and burn" Jack Welch. Your guy was old school- take care of the workers, treat them well and make a good product, take pride in your work and career and stock values are the third thing you worry about: old school. A decent guy. he gave away most of his fortune.

His obit is in the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times.

Yes indeed, a significant figure no doubt! I'll be interesed to see what the conservationist will be able to do with this, but it is worth attempting to save and preserve in my opinion. I'm not looking forward to the cost! Cheap document, with an expensive backend. Oh well, it's all part of the fun! I think.