News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Small collection of POW groups. ** REGIONAL ADMIN. AWARD & CERT. OF MERIT. *A RECOMMENDED POST

I've sold all of the above EXCEPT the PoWs for the AngloBoer War, and am still adding to my collection of 2ABW PoWs.

Here's the latest.

2 BAR QSA, SOUTH AFRICAN CONSTABULARY, PRISONER OF WAR ABRAHAMSKRAAL 11-3-1901
    QSA 1899-1902 With clasps for Cape Colony & Orange Free State to: 1401.2nd.CL.TPR.W.SMITH.S.A.C
    The recipient was taken prisoner of war near Abrahamskraal 11-3-1901 while serving with E Division of the South African Constabulary.

Smith Obv.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Another new QSA to a PoW.

QSA: CC, OFS, TR, SA01, SA02 - 5674 L. Corpl W. Sharpe. Hampshire Regt

This Q.S.A. was awarded to Corporal W. Sharpe, Hampshire Regiment, who taken prisoner near Doornfontein on 28 March 1902 but was released and re-joined his unit a fortnight later, his capture being recorded in Murray Crosby Jackson's memoir 'A Soldier's Diary'

W. Sharpe was stationed with the 2nd Hampshires in March 1902, when they were involved in Guarding railway lines and other key posts; two companies were at Barberton but had been ordered back to Pretoria. The first left on 24 March and the other departed on the 30 March but was involved in the Barberton railway accident where over 40 were killed. There was a further Hampshire company with the 7th Mounted Infantry at the end of the war that was subsumed into the 27th Mounted Infantry, the last one to be formed, to give it experienced men.

Sharpe was in the Mounted Infantry and was captured about 30 miles from Klerksdorp. He was kept about a fortnight and treated well. His capture, internment, and subsequent release are described in Murray Crosby Jackson's memoir A Soldier's Diary.

"Another man named Sharpe fell out in the wood where I saw the two Boers, and as soon as he was left he was amongst the Boers. They were riding just behind us. We had passed within 300 yards of their laager, where they had three or four guns! He said they were in rather a stew - didn't know where to go - so kept following us to see where we were going. They took Sharpe's horse and made him ride on a gun carriage, so he got a beautiful view of proceedings. As I say, they followed us all night; and at daybreak, when we had got as far as we were going, and were extending to meet the columns on either side to drive back to the line, they dodged through some hilly country between our column and the next. probably we saw them and took them for our side. Sharpe said it was a near thing several times they would come round a hillock almost on to a company of ours, and dodge back and around the other side; and once they sat their horses in a clump in a steep hollow, expecting every movement to see our helmets over the rise, as they had seen a mob coming straight for them, but they went into the next kloof. of course, Sharpe was given to understand that to make any sign would not be health for him. They kept him a fortnight and treated him pretty well."

Sharpe QSA.jpeg

Posted (edited)

A most unusual PoW pair to a private serving in the Army Post Office Corps.

QSA: CC, OFS, TR - 538 Pte C. A. Turner, A.P.O. Corps
    KSA: SA01, SA02 - 538 Corpl: C. A. Turner. A.P.O.C

C. A. Turner was taken prisoner and was released on 14 June 1901 at Klerksdorp.

Christopher Alexander Turner was born in 1880 and was the son of Frederick William and Sarah Turner. He was married to F.E. Turner and his address in WWI was 86 Leathwaite Rd., Battersea Rise, London. He enlisted in the R.E. Postal Section as 27825 sapper, and qualified for the 1914 Star on 6/10/1914. His next of kin were sent his 1914 Star & Bar trio with Plaque. Died at 34 years old on 8 November 1914. He is buried in grave 1.A.19. in Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery. If anyone knows the location of his WWI medals and plaque, please contact me as I would very much like to reunite them.

Turner Post Office Corps PoW.jpeg

Edited by azyeoman

Another new pair for the battle of Helvetia on 29 December 1900.  

QSA: CC, OFS, TR, LN, Bel - 70261 GNR G. PRANGLE 6th W.D. R.G.A.

KSA: SA01, SA02 - 70261 GNR G. PRANGLE R.G.A.

George Prangle was born in Southwick, near Fareham in Hampshire.  He enlisted on 9 January 1889.  He was captured along with 19 other men of the 6th W.D. RGA on 29 December at Helvetia and released later. 

image.jpeg.658d56b003cc258072f2e0d853fc88b0.jpeg