News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

interesting small lifesaving/china/seho group

Here is a very interesting small group of two bars around 1900/1902. Both are from the same man so the points are:

- Lifesaving medal

- started after 1897

- china service in Hophu

- SEHO after 1901

What I don`t know exactly... was the SEHO given to soldiers/NCO too or only for officers? I would say with this type of swords on the ribbon it must be an officers bar, the medals for soldiers/NCO had not these big swords for the ribbon. And the style of the bar as big ribbon bar without hooks for orders normally screams officer too.....

By the way... the small one has hooks, so if anybody has a lifesaving medal for me please send PM.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome

Heiko

Guest Rick Research

I don't find any regular officer with this combination. Hophu is a strange bar to find as a single, and I can't account for a UNIT that was there and only there... so this man was a "stray."

There had to be some STRONG affiliation with -Altenburg, -Coburg, or -Meiningen-- as a native of the Duchy, or whoever this was would have gotten a PRUSSIAN award.

I don't find any young Leutnant in 1902, which makes me think this has to be a Silver Merit Medal.

Guest Rick Research

Today's kudos to you! :cheers:

1 killed & 6 wounded at Hophu 3 January 1901 (1 officer, 5 men) =

Oberleutnant (scratch him) Maximilin Frh. v. Hirschberg then in OstAs Feldart Regt--lightly;

soldier killed and all other wounded were from 2. OstAs Inf Regt:

2./ Musketier Robert Schneewei? from Hohburg bei Grimma-- lightly

3./ Unteroffizier (scratch him) Otto Heun from Dresden--lightly

3./ Hornist (scractch him?) Johann Kornd?rfer from Oberr??lau, Bavaria-- lightly

4./ Musketier Paul Reh from Sch?nwalde--lightly

7./ Musketier August Memmler from Truckenthal, Kreis Sonneburg, Sachsen-Meiningen-- severely

Guest Rick Research

Ooo, I just WISH there was such a book, Heiko! The only one I know about is the 1938 Directory of the 1937 members of the Lifesaving Awards Recipients Association. I list that in the Reference sub-forum in the pinned Personal Libraries thread.

It is arranged by Nazi Gau, not alphabetical, no index, and while it gives full names, birthdates, titles (virtually no military personnel belonged) and home addresses, there was absolutely NOTHING to indicate WHICH "lifesaving medal on ribbon" or "other lifesaving award" the members had received. A few list specific FOREIGN lifesaving awards, but there is NOTHING to indicate which GERMAN lifesaving medal 1833-1937 the members had. A few sample citations only are given for recipients, and obviously somebody born in 1916 could not have had the 1833-1918 type... but if somebody was born in 1862... they COULD have received the medal any time from 1880 to 1937.

I looked for Memmler, but no luck. Not everyone belonged-- of course, in 1937 not everyone was allowed to belong, or wanted to join yet another Nazi dominated group.

The owner of this bar could also have been killed on the first day of the war in 1914, or even died before then.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Today's kudos to you! :cheers:

1 killed & 6 wounded at Hophu 3 January 1901 (1 officer, 5 men) =

Oberleutnant (scratch him) Maximilin Frh. v. Hirschberg then in OstAs Feldart Regt--lightly;

soldier killed and all other wounded were from 2. OstAs Inf Regt:

2./ Musketier Robert Schneewei? from Hohburg bei Grimma-- lightly

3./ Unteroffizier (scratch him) Otto Heun from Dresden--lightly

3./ Hornist (scractch him?) Johann Kornd?rfer from Oberr??lau, Bavaria-- lightly

4./ Musketier Paul Reh from Sch?nwalde--lightly

7./ Musketier August Memmler from Truckenthal, Kreis Sonneburg, Sachsen-Meiningen-- severely

Made me think because my grandfather was wounded on the Kalgan Campaign. Haven't had the time yet to do the research on Hophu.