News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Meaning of numbers after names in regimental histories?

Please forgive me for intruding. I have been a reader here for some time, but never found the courage to post. Now I have a question and I was hoping this was the proper place to ask. In many German regimental histories of the Great War, there is a list of names at the back. Sometimes the names are those killed in action. Other times they are the ones mentioned in the text and serve as an index. Sometimes they are combined. Very often after the names there are numbers such as "II" or "III" or "A.3." or "A.4. (5)". What are these numbers? One regimental history indicates that the "A" means "anlage" but I don't understand what that means. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Steve

Hi,

I think: "II" or the "III" behind a name: there was more than one with the same familyname in the same unit!? (like: (Hans) Meyer I, (Wilhelm) Meyer II, etc. ...).

And the "A.1" maybe mean: "Anlage Nummer 1" (attachment number 1) !???

Best regards,
    Jens

Hello Steve

Jens is quite correct in his response.

The profusion of certain last names and also just a repeat of one name made it necessary to assign a distinguishing number behind such name i.e. Meyer I or Meyer II to be able to keep those fellows apart.

I have just a few German regimental histories of WW I and they contain the names of those of the regiment who lost their lives. This feature I find admirable as it sets a kind of

memorial to the comrades who did not make it home.

I am glad you overcame your reluctance to post.

Bernhard H. Holst