News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Estonian Air Force mechanics

On the basis of comparing the left ear of one with the right ear of the other and finding them to be different shapes, my judgement is that they are not the same man. A shame.

Are you sure? Meantime many others on the similar forum are pretty sure that it is the same man. Also keep in mind that the Estonian Aviation presonell were extreamly small - we are talking about 30-50 people max....... in this case on the portrait is my grandfather who I never met (he was killed by NKVD 1947). Also shape of the badge matches - I know he was mechanic in the Air Force. I know I maybe thrilled if I found picture with him but before I let it to compare by other sources as well.

Timo aka Noor

Edited by Noor

I think to be 100% sure I have to find similar picture with the names or find his another shot from the same distance to compare more. As I said, my main comfort is the extreamly small amount of the aviation mechanics at this time, so in this case close similarity is there and it can be indicate that it is him.

Thanks again,

Timo

• 2 weeks later...

On the picture is Halberstadt CL. IV nr 59. Accident took place on the 2 July 1925 just before 07:00. Pilot Ferdinand Feliks Alev broke both legs during the crash (died 1928 in the air accident) but mechanic Harry Tõnishoff died in the hospital following day.

They crashed due to the stall during fast manouver on 100 meters high, when the wing AoA went over critical angle.

Ferdinand Feliks Alev

22051695be9d30_o.jpg

Edited by Noor