News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fleet Admiral William F. Halsey - A Yousuf Karsh Portrait

QSAMIKE

Good Evening Everyone......

This has been a very very good day for me, along with a family of medals......

I was able to purchase the following signed portrait of Fleet Admiral William F. (Bull) Halsey.....

14 Inches by 10 1/2 Inches - Silver Gelatin Print

The portrait was taken by Yousuf Karsh who is classified as and I quote, "Yousuf Karsh most famous protrait photographers of all time...", this portrait was also signed Y. Karsh, Ottawa....

The portrait was taken in 1947....

It is inscribed:

To. George Dunlop Sr., U.S. Navy -

With warm regards -

W. F. Halsey, Fleet Admiral, U.S. Navy

By the way Karsh is also known for taking one of the best portraits of Sir. Winston L. S. Churchill

Mike

P.S. Please excuse my photos, I am not as good as Karsh and never will be.

As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I once met Admiral Halsey. I was a plebe at the Naval Academy, home for Christmas leave at a dance. I was wearing my full dress Naval Academy uniform (which has probably not changed over the past one hundred plus years) and this runty little grey haired gentleman stepped into my path and said, "I used to wear one of those once upon a time." I had no idea who he was, and was intent on pursuing a younger, more attractive target who was just disappearing out of sight. I made a cursory, minimally polite answer and took off after my primary target. Later, someone who had observed the encounter told me who the runty gentleman was, and I almost lost my teeth! I'd like to believe that the Admiral may have laughed and even approved of my priorities.

I went to high school with a boy named Halsey Spruance, who I think was a grandson of both those admirals. I've never checked the genealogy to see if that was so, but we all believed it.

Hi Hugh.....

Had a similar funny situation.....

On the night before graduation from OCS as an Officer Cadet we had a Formal Mess Dinner..... The Officer Cadet at the time had a rank badge of One very thin stripe on the cuff of his sleeve about 1/2 and inch wide (Like a Midshipman)..... A few of us went into the mess and found that the inspecting Admiral and the school staff were already there and standing together having a drink..... The 6 of us cadets went to the bar and got our drinks and went to the opposite side of the room..... The Admiral I guess noticed this and after a while went to the bar found out what we were drinking and brought a tray of drinks to us and said.... "Good Evening Gentlemen, after all Us One Stripers have to stick together", now his stripe was about 2 1/2 inches wide..... That broke the ice and it was a very pleasurable evening......

Mike