News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Manchuran Incident Medal - Wrapper?

Dieter3

Current auction.

I've not seen a wrapper like this with this medal before, they are always specific. I suppose the other kanji could be folded under where we can't see 'em, but notice how close the kanji are to the 4 large center kanji in the second pic. Is this some kind of "generic" war medal wrapper? The 4 main kanji seem larger too as compared to the "correct" wrapper, maybe just an optical illusion?

Edited by Dieter3

• 11 years later...

Dear Gentlemen,

Mine came with this medal " National Border Incident War Medal".

The only inscriptions are the ones that are visible.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd7bcb45f36c033a25a6f7ce7d3dd219.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9dc8e3d58cbec3d7c0567bf13510f3c7.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

No One,

Interesting. The only ones that I've seen and have are also medal specific, instead of a generic "military service medal", or something like that.

Tracy 

Dear TracA,

Unless it's for the 'National Border Incident War Medal', they appear to be generic.

Have you noticed that my wrapper has parentheses or brackets, whereas the one posted by Dieter3 doesn't?

image.jpeg.c4517d5a56539d194155994f2e29311a.jpeg

What are those wrappers? There is a new enigma that needs to be solved.

Yours sincerely,

No one

Edited by No one

No One,

I hadn't noticed that about the parentheses. Excellent point, and it adds to the mystery.

If I recall Peterson and Catalano, the 'National Border Incident War Medal' for Nomenhan is technically a Manchukou commemorative medal, but because the quality is so high and the design so similar, it is believed that they were made in Japan. Perhaps that's why the "made by the mint" on your wrapper is surrounded by parentheses and the wrapper for Dieter3's is not. Perhaps the parentheses were used to signify that although the award was made by the Japan mint, it was done so for a "foreign" country, so-to-speak.

All the best,

Tracy

Dear TracA,

"Perhaps the parentheses were used to signify that although the award was made by the Japan mint, it was done so for a "foreign" country, so-to-speak."

It is an interesting hypothesis that didn't cross my mind.

Yours sincerely,

No one