News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It is very impressive. Why hasnt someone written an english version of a book on Rohr or 5th SB? Ive read all of Thomas W's books as well as a few others, such as Gudmundsson, but nothing specifically and soley focused on 'The Unit'. I have not yet purchased the French book, and the only thing I know about it is that it contains a complete postcard set from the unit. Kaisercross is a fantastic website by the way, ive stayed up way too late on many nights over the past year reading it. Let me know if you ever need help translating from German. Lastly, how did you get the von schwerin book on cd? I only ask because im considering purchasing the original. Thanks,

Dom

• 8 months later...

Hi Dom,

Sorry for not answering your previous post, it was on my "must answer that" list and I forgot about it.

Most of the Rohr Stuff is in French and German, I assume there is not enough interest in the English speaking world to justify translating it.

A guy called Patrick Schallert has a website with many, many Regt and unit histories availible on DVD, about EUR5 a pop. It is useful when you need many, many histories for your archives. I usually only buy the original book when it is a unit I am very interested in.

The last Rohr History I saw on Ebay went for quite a few hundred EURs,

Why dont more have the crown and "W" badge... a good question. I am not sure how widely spread the wearing of the badge is. And the kaiser apparently did not approve it.... See these Guys from Rohr at the kaiser HQ in November 1918... none of them have it...

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60752-most-exciting-photo-of-my-year/

Best

Chris

The special sleeve insignia did not appear until 1918, so I suspect that is why we don't see that many photos of it being worn. Also, it may be a consideration that this was a metal insignia on a cloth backing and those metal insignia got snagged pretty easily. That's why you seen so many that are sewn down on caps, shoulder straps and collars. It might be that they just didn't bother with this except on their walking out uniforms.

Chip