News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

great east asia war medal replica

mickey

hi all just thought id post a couple of photos of a recent purchase my collecting interest ends at ww2 and earlier but i will never own the first and last of japans war medals but have been looking for a post war replica of this medal for a while and was hoping for something a bit different from the plastic cased medals this one seems to be of a better quality the wooden case is well fitted and the medal is silver and heavy the ribbon is also thicker than most ribbons just wondering if any members have seen this type before i imagine it would have been fairly expensive to make (thanks rich c)

hi all just thought id post a couple of photos of a recent purchase my collecting interest ends at ww2 and earlier but i will never own the first and last of japans war medals but have been looking for a post war replica of this medal for a while and was hoping for something a bit different from the plastic cased medals this one seems to be of a better quality the wooden case is well fitted and the medal is silver and heavy the ribbon is also thicker than most ribbons just wondering if any members have seen this type before i imagine it would have been fairly expensive to make (thanks rich c)

Hi Mickey,

Never say never! You may one day end up with an original of either the 1874 or the Great East Asia War Medal!

These medals are definitely of higher grade than the ones in plastic cases overall. Not that the others are low quality, they are good too - but yes, the plastic case is, well, plastic. And the medals of course are not silver, unlike your new acquisition! I'm still not sure what the ribbon material is, wool? Unwatered silk? I'm not a textiles expert. Nick?

Here is one in my collection. It included the original paper box and a mini-info document. The company on the document existed from 1967 to 1987 when I believe it was bought out, or changed names, or something, but it still exists in some form under a different name now or evolution. The fitted interior of my case was actually loose and I took it out and it revealed the number shown in the photo. (Is yours loose? I'd be interested to see what number yours has!) These are really nice medals.

And the medals of course are not silver, unlike your new acquisition! I'm still not sure what the ribbon material is, wool? Unwatered silk? I'm not a textiles expert. Nick?

Wool or maybe crude cotton? :whistle:

Edited by JapanX

Yes, it could be a cotton as well. I wonder why the selection of something other than watered silk? The medal is thick and bulky, so maybe the attempt was to marry it to a thicker, heavier ribbon?

Yes, it could be a cotton as well. I wonder why the selection of something other than watered silk? The medal is thick and bulky, so maybe the attempt was to marry it to a thicker, heavier ribbon?

Well, I think they simply made it from scratch.

That's why every detail (box, medal design and material, ribbon material, ribbon hook and catching eye, etc) is so different from all others replicas (on "green" ribbon).