News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Chris.

Wm. E. Hamelman states the date of the award as June 23, 1918 as Lt. d.Res. and commanding officer of 14th Artillery Battery ??

Award for Battle of Chemin des Dames, capturing a French position on May 27, 1918. Also in recognition of the successful crossing of the Aisne River on the Western Front.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi,

There is a book called "Eine Infanterie Geschütz Batterie (Batterie Hieronymus) im weltkrieg"

I am not sure if its any good, I think I need to get that,

Pity, I was hoping they were 1917 awards ;-)

Best

Chris

Hello Chris.

When I saw 14.Battery I was thinking Inf.Begleit Batterie or Nahkampf Batterie.

David Edkins "The Prussian Orden Pour le Merite History of the Blue Max" does not shed any more light on this officer's unit.

BTW: Helmut Weitze's update shows a book by a former officer of Bay. Leiber Rgt., seems mainly about the Verdun battles. In case you have not seen it.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

I just obtained the book " Der Weltkrieg in seiner rauhen Wirklichkeit"

with WW I 600 original photos of the German War Photo and Film Office as well as the German war photographer Hermann Rex.

I located two photos of Infanteriebegleitbatterie ( Infantry accompanying battery) which are shown below. I do not quite know the difference between Infanteriegeschuetz and Infanteriebegleitgeschuetz (infantry gun and infantry accompanying gun) but guess infantry guns to be of relatively small caliber i.e. 37 mm or so. In any case the photos illustrate the difficulties artillery deployed in an accompanying role encountered.

From memory I think the later ( late 1930's) developed assault guns had their origins in the Infantry Accompanying Guns.

Bernhard H. Holst