News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 - Matchbox Covers. RFC & Picklehaube

.......................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-6209-0-15736900-1365950258.jpgclick............................

This would have been made at a time of change for matches. Gentlemen were still carrying sulphur matches during

the 1st World War - they would be in a silver case which hung from the left side of a watch chain - this was called a

Vesta Case. However, safety matches had been introduced and were in boxes similar to the more recent one shown

with this box cover.

The box carries the motif of the British Royal Flying Corps - the first airforce in the World (Sth. Africa was the second).

I believe it to be quite genuine - you will see the wear and tear. The RFC gave way to the RAF (Royal Air Force) in 1918,

so this would pre-date the RAF. I think we are looking at a rare item of Militaria interest.

Should have any early matchbox covers please add them. Mervyn

Showing the case with the matchbox which just slides-in.

.........................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-6209-0-93054300-1365951204.jpgclick......................

German Picklehaube

This is a little later - and made in France. The wording says - in French - a Souvenir of France. I would date this

to 1919 and the years following.

The period of WW1 was to 1918 - however, visitors were not allowed to travel to France until 1919. Just so much War

debris to remove, Families were desperate to visit - they needed closure on where their loved ones had been killed or,

injured. Many just wanted to see where such terrible fighting had taken place. This applied to German families as well.

The French made them as welcome as possible - but, it must be remembered that industries had been badly damaged

and food was scarce. The visitors all wanted mementoes - or, souvenirs to take home - but France could not produce

enough. The RFC box is British made and from during the war. This Picklehaube was made in France - I suspect it

was aimed at German visitors - but, would have been bought by everyone. Perhaps they made different subjects aimed

at the British - at this stage, we just don't know. Perhaps you can help ? One thing we can be sure of - being made

from brass, it will have been re-cycled from shell cases. The other big souvenir were lace envelopes with dates on and

a handkerchief inside.

Time passes and memories fade - but, in 1919 the events were still fresh and people still grieving. Such a small thing, yet

so evocative.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...