News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Operational Service Medal Group

We don't seem to see many of the more modern British Groups on the Forum - so, I was pleased when this very nice

group of three came-in.

.......................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-6209-0-39125600-1366119696.jpgclick........................

The Operational Service medal is on the left - in the centre is the Award for H.M. The Queen's 50th Anniversary. This was

issued in 2002 - unnamed. The third one is the NATO medal - the bar marking service in Former Yugoslavia.

The Operational Service medal is the important one - it was issued for Service in Afghanistan - Sierra Leone - and in

the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The only way to distinguish which area is by the border of the ribbon. With this

one having Buff we know he served in Afghanistan. This campaign started in 2001 - and he would have received the Ann.

Medal in 2002.

I haven't had time to do any research - help is always appreciated from the experts - however, I will have his papers drawn.

The following editorial excerpts are taken from The Medal Yearbook and Full Acknowledgement is given to them. I have

always recommended this valuable reference book to medal collectors.

The first covers the background to the Operational Service Medal - the next will cover the NATO Medal.

......................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-6209-0-51469800-1366120527.jpgclick..................

Very nice indeed Mervin.

As you say it's not often that these are found in our neck of the woods.

Is the OSM named? If so is it to an Officer or OR and what is the regiment or Corps the medal is to?

Regards

Rory

This presentation flask - made of pewter and shaped to go in a hip pocket - came with the medals. Named

and with the crest of his Squadron - dated 1996. He was either re-assigned, or perhaps promoted.

......................................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2013/post-6209-0-62725100-1366121720.jpgclick.......................

His Squadron - 54(F) - was operating the Jaguar GR1 in the period he was serving with them, in the ground attack role. In this period the Squadron had aircraft operating out of Gioia del Colle in Italy over the FRY.

Bill

Edited by Bilco

That is another great set Mervyn. Are these modern British groupings popular? I remember that not too long ago, the British Iraqi Service Medal was going for a very high price(named of course).

Yes, it is more ot less true that "modern' groups are like hen's teeth........

Here's one that recently joined my collection........

Royal Gurkha Rifles

Sgt. Krishkumar Rai.

And, I managed to find a PHOTO of the Rai brothers of the RGR on the web.............

As I said before....... diligent research.