News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British ribbon with the foreign award - WW2 Finnish?

Hi all,

I just picked up one nice ribbon bar for my collection but I am struggling to ID the last ribbon on it. Perhaps someone recognise it or due to the combination, can quess something.

It is two row metal construction ribbon bar and shows service during WW1 and WW2 (8th Army).

Because it is in the last place, I am thinking that it is some kind of foreign decoration or "unusual" Long Service award? Can it be Finnish 1941 Medal of the Cross of Liberty?

Any ideas guys?

Timo aka Noor

22205497e93bcb_o.jpg

Medal of the Cross of Liberty

FI135a.jpg

It says "For Bravery" (at least in Swedish), and the medal ought to be the Medal of Liberty, 2nd Class. Now, the really interesting question is how it could end up on that ribbon bar?

/Jonas

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

There were some British volunteers in the Winter war between Finland and Soviet Union 1939/40. They were part of the multinational volunteer unit called SISU-battalion. However, they never made it in to battle before the war ended and I can not remember any awards for gallantry. In case of SISU-btl veteran, I would also expect to see winter war medal ribbon on the ribbon bar.

The ribbon looks identical to the Medal of Liberty 2nd class - there were slight variations with the widht of the yellow stripes and colors... still I believe that is something else.

Jani

I think it is a white Russian Medal of Zeal award for service in Russia in 1918-1919. Taylor's often used what was on hand. Given the lack of any other awards, I reckon this is some sort of Major/ Lt Colonel in some sort service corps/technical branch about 1947.