News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Very cool. The first I have ever seen for a "war-helper" . Where ever did you get it? Do I read it correctly that she was a clerk at the Motor Transport pool #2 and then later in the motor transport depot in Hanover ?

I have read about these Kreigshelferinen. They often wore a tailored form of grey blouse and jacket and a sash.

I wonder if they had badges.

Edited by Ulsterman

I was in a Junk/Jewellry/Antique shop today, it is usually overboard with prices but they were clearing out the fittings and contents as it was closing down... I saw this on a pile and picked it up for a tenner.... not Bavarian Jäger, but interesting ;-)

Yeah- there was a concerted effort by the German army to replace able bodied men with female auxis starting in 1916. Originally the female auxillery workers were only to have been used in Heersgruppe formations in the Reich or other 'safe' areas in 1916, the program expanded in 1917 to Etappe areas in France and the East. Women replaced company clerks and worked as staff sergeants in many Heersgruppe detachments, ensuring things like supplies, transport, cooks, sanitation, graves registration, accounting/pay and communications (post office) happened. They were resented far less than their male counterparts, who, unless they were missing an arm or had an eye patch or something , tended to get a lot of aggro from Frontsoldaten as 'lazy rear area pigs' or even more ominously, as "Jews". Hitler's anti-Semetic prejudices certainly were amplified by his resentment of rear-echelon ticket clerks etc. whom he assumed were Jewish slackers .

The female auxis were rather different from the lionized DRK Schwestern, who also often were Gymnasium graduates and from a higher social class than the army auxis.

Most of the auxillery women were single or widowed and earned a salary (not a wage) and were Volksschule graduates from working class families. They tended to be SPD supporters according to the Heerspolezei reports. There were three pay grades, ranging from 3 marks a day to 6 marks a day and these were wages FAR in excess of munitions work in Germany. Also, there was the promise of adventure and a bit of flirting, so the army was swamped with applicants, despite the more conservative press and political leadership at the time tut-tutting about possible immorality and the young women besmirching themselves with young squaddies desperate for some fun after a few months in the trenches.

The Auxis wore a red/white/black sash and in some areas (esp. Bavarian) got so much teasing about this "veil of sin" (or fun, depending upon your viewpoint) that the army had to implement a daily fine to ensure the women wore it. Most women by the photos seem to have worn white shirts, skirts, sensible shoes or boots or some sort of unofficial quasi-paramilitary jacket. They were civilians employed by the army and not subject to military law, although this was a bit of a grey area in the occupied zones, which were under military rule anyway.

As part of a last gasp effort, the army wanted to recruit 100,000 women as Nachrichtenhelferinen in July of 1918, to establish a womens' signal Corps like the British had. It was hoped to replace @65,000 signals troops and to use these men as front line soldiers. The Corps was still being set up while the war ended, but the women were to have worn official Feldgrau uniforms and have been inducted AS MEMBERS OF THE ARMY ! Recruiting posters for this Signal Corps are rare and much sought after by poster collectors. Women were recruited for the Signal Corps as of August/September and some detachments may have actually been deployed in Germany by November.

Edited by Ulsterman

Hello:

Thanks to Chris for showing this interesting document. This is also a first for me.

Her parents were both deceased at the time of her enlistment in 1917and she certainly had a specialty as telephone operator already in civilian life and most likely served as such in a motor pool. Also she was kept on after the armistice until spring of 1919.

Also thanks to the several comments and the additional information on the auxiliary female personnel.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 2 months later...