News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

This is my first post on this site. (By the way it is a really great site!)

I recently purchased a 1911 Coronation Medal to P.C. H. TIDDY. Herbert Tiddy joined the Metropolitan Police on 27/7/1908 and was given Warrent Number 95960. He was attached to "F" Division. On 9/4/1925 he was prompted to the rank of Station Sergeant, by this stage he was attached to "S" Division. Police Orders of 12/21931 stated that Stn. P.S. Tiddy had died.

Could anyone out there help me in finding out what happened to Herbert Tiddy? This is a very hard thing to research from Australia.

All the best,

Cat

Looked at his service sheet and that just repeats the information you already have

Copy of his service sheet attached in case you don't have it

He started in D Div (Marylebone)and earned his 1911 Medal there. Then went to F Div (Paddington) as a PS and finally to S Div (Hampstead) as an SPS.

Not sure exactly where his cause of death would be recorded by the Met

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Hi Odin Mk3,

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I do have copies of his service sheets.

Maybe Herbert Tiddy's death will still remain a mystery.

Regards,

Cat

I do not see why the death should remain a mystery,obtain his death certficate which will give date & place,cause,occupation,address and informant.Local newspapers could well have covered it with an obituary.There's plenty to go on,just persevere.

I agree - I have looked at the Met Roll of honour with negative result - I'm afraid guys die during service and if its not through any form of gallantry etc its not recorded - Death cert will give you will give you a result - Keep at it,you will get there. Please let us know the result!

Thanks Guys,

You're both right, I just need to keep plugging away.

How do I access death certificates in the U.K.? Also any suggestions about which newspaper I should look at?

Are any of these online?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm pretty new at all of this, so I hope I'm not being too much of a bother.

Hopefully given time I'll be in a position to answer questions as well as pose them.

Regards,

Cat

This could be your man. Herbert Richard Tiddy was born in Ellham, Folkestone, Kent c.1888, by 1911 was living in St Marlebone, London. He returned to Ellham in April 1914 and married a Miss Kelway, probably prior to going to war. I have traced a Richard H Tiddy to Cornwall where he died in 1951, this is more than likely a son of the union. You could now try researching the Military side to get his war service, if any. Hope of use.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes this is almost certainly the same man. His full name was Herbert Richard Tiddy and he was born in Folkestone in 1887 according to the records I have. You have helped round out the picture of Herbert Tiddy and thank you for this. The possibility of him have war service gives me another angle to pursue. Once again thanks so much.

Regards,

Cat (David)

Hi

I had an idle moment and looked up for some more information, not too much because the fun is in finding it yourself!!

Herbert Richard Tiddy married Martha Clara Kelway (b 3 May 1886), her father was a retired Kent Constabulary officer

Martha Clara died in the 1st Quarter of 1977 in Canterbury at a respectable age of 90

I can only find one child - Richard Mark B Tiddy, born 29 August 1915 in Marylebone District, he died 3rd quarter 1990 in Canterbury

Richard married Patricia Greenhill in Folkestone in the 1st quarter 1953

You can order all UK certificates on line - www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

The rest is down to you....LOL.......best of luck

Steve

Edited by Polsa999

Thanks Polsa999. Much appreciated.

Hi

I had an idle moment and looked up for some more information, not too much because the fun is in finding it yourself!!

Herbert Richard Tiddy married Martha Clara Kelway (b 3 May 1886), her father was a retired Kent Constabulary officer

Martha Clara died in the 1st Quarter of 1977 in Canterbury at a respectable age of 90

I can only find one child - Richard Mark B Tiddy, born 29 August 1915 in Marylebone District, he died 3rd quarter 1990 in Canterbury

Richard married Patricia Greenhill in Folkestone in the 1st quarter 1953

You can order all UK certificates on line - www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

The rest is down to you....LOL.......best of luck

Steve