News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish medal for Flying Deeds

Some time ago I got a really rare bird. A collection that was started in the late 40-ties was up for auction. Tons of stuff you normally never see for sale. In one of the auctions a special medal was listed: "Stockholms-Tidningens medalj för svensk flygargärning" ("Stockholms-Tidningen" medal for Swedish flying deed). This is a rare one, awarded 39 times that I know of. To make it even more rare it was awarded to count Carl Gustaf von Rosen! Today the name von Rosen might not ring many bells. But he was well known in Sweden and made plenty of headlines around the world. Check out the short version on wiki: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_von_Rosen

Anyway, I placed a bid and figured it would be third or even forth best. Imagine my surprise when I won...

Here are one pic of the medal and another with the award ceremony. The ceremony took place just before he and his Ethiopian pilots flew home with some Swedish planes Ethiopia bought.

/Kim

No problem. Perhaps I should tell one story to clarify how this medal was earned. Like I wrote this was awarded for exceptional achievements in flying. One of those exceptional pilots who got one is Thorvald Andersson. In the fall of 1941 he was flying as a practice "target" for Swedish anti air craft guns when he flew over the German ship Isar. The Germans opened fire and hit his plane. Andersson was wounded in the face and right hand. On top of this the plane was on fire. With the floor burning Andersson steps out on the wing of the plane with one leg and flies the air craft with his injured hand. Five kilometres later he crashes in the rough sea 200 meter from shore. He and his mechanic Kihlström were then rescued by Swedish soldiers. For this action Andersson got a ST-medal but also one for saving the life of his mechanic.

/Kim

During the war German cargo ships travelled in Swedish national waters, often full of iron ore from our mines. Torvald Andersson was unlucky with his timing. The flak units he was a target for were on land and he only flew over the sea to change direction. Being inside Swedish borders he must have thought himself as being safe. The Germans on board on the other hand must have been thinking better safe than sorry and opened fire. Later the company Andersson worked for got a new plane from the Germans.

My medal was not awarded for such drama as Andersson. Count von Rosen got his for flying non-stop from Stockholm to Addis Ababa. This was a new world record for this type of plane, or at least it should have been. Before the plane lifted some overly eager official took out the barograph. Unnecessary weight, he figured. Needed for a acceptable record, the record committee said. The ST-medal committee thought the flight was something extra ordinary and awarded him for it.

Do check out the wiki link on von Rosen. He had a very adventurous life. Pioneer pilot, related to Herman Göring, Air force builder in Ethiopia, Biafra etc etc. Stuff for at least one Hollywood movie.

/Kim