News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Central Lithuania Medal - to identify

Greetings All.

I have a "Central" Lithuania medal I need to identify.

I know it is from shortly after WWI, when Poland occupied part of Lithuania, most importantly Wilna (Vilnius in Lithuania), the historic capital of Lithuania. I though do not know what it was awarded for and by whom. Also, I do not understand the Polish text on the medal.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Linas

Linas, this is a very interesting medal from the post-WWI period. Unfortunately, I cannot give any information on who awarded the medal and for what reason. However, given that it is in Polish language, one can only assume that it was awarded by Poland for participation in the Polish-Lithuanian conflict 1919-1920, which was part of the larger Polish-Soviet War or the Polish War of Independence. I can help with the Polish inscription - Litwa środkowa - literally "Central Lithuania" in Polish. The dates "9.X. 19.XI 1920" refer to 9 Oct to 19 Nov 1920 or the dates for the battle of Vilnius also "Wilno" in Polish.

The ribbon is in the national colors of Lithuania and the design is similar to other Polish medals; so, I conclude it's a Polish commemorative for the period of conflict in Lithuania I've outlined above.

A wonderful piece in my opinion, and like you, I'd be very interested in its specific history.

Linas, I found a wikipedia page in Polish about this medal. In Polish, the medal is called: Krzyż Zasługi Wojsk Litwy Środkowej

According to the wiki page, the following information is provided (my translation - paraphrase):

"According to the (provisional government) resolution, the medal was awarded for acts of bravery, heroism, or outstanding operational and organizational actions by soldiers fighting against Lithuanian forces in Vilnius during the period, October 9 to November 19, 1920. The cross was awarded by the Provisional Government at the request of (Polish) military commanders in Lithuania. Awards were made in 1926 and a total of 1439 crosses were awarded."

Here's the site - again it's in Polish - http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzy%C5%BC_Zas%C5%82ugi_Wojsk_Litwy_%C5%9Arodkowej

Edited by IrishGunner

Its the Cross of Merit of the Central Lithuanian Army, given to those who fought for the Liberation of Wilno from the Russians with General Zeligorski in 1920. It was awarded to Military and civilians for acts of bravery in the field, established in 1922 it was awarded until 1926. The government of Poland adopted it as a national decoration, the central disc on the reverse should be nuumbered. Your example does not appear to be so. As such it may be a copy or at best a specimen.

Paul