News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Slovakian Ribbon Bars Recently Acquired

I recently had the good fortune to acquire four Slovakian ribbon bars issued during WWII. I believe them all to be genuine.

The rarest of the four is the Prince Pribina Order with wreath and swords

Two are version of the War Victory Cross with devices - state eagle and silver wreath and swords.

The last one is the Bravery Medal - 2nd Class - silver

Can someone explain the significance and grade of these ribbon bars and their rarity. Of course I would like to know if they are genuine!http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-5307-0-71217200-1370482883.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-5307-0-18641600-1370483062.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_06_2013/post-5307-0-85211300-1370483146.jpg

More:

Bar with eagle device: Slowakischer Kriegs-Siegesorden - IV. Klasse

Bar with silver swords & wreath: Slowakischer Kriegs-Siegesorden - VI Klasse

Top bar: Slowakischer Fürst-Pribina-Orden - IV. Klasse

The Prince Pribina ribbon is for the lowest order of the award.

Very nice ribbon bars. Yep, your attribution is correct.

Generally Slovakian awards from the 39-45 period are hard to come by. From time to time you can find frequently awarded medals or lower grades. The higher classes (e.g. grand cross, grand officer and commander) are extremely rare. Collars are of the highest rarity.

If you want to get rid of some of the Slovakian stuff from the 39-45 period don't hesitate to contact me.

I had not intended to buy any of these. The Pribina I found offered on eBay by a fellow in Bulgaria who was asking much more - I made him a small offer and he took it. The two others I found here in the US - part of a grouping.

Neither seller knew what these ribbon bars were or their true value. I took advantage of their ignorance! That is part of life! It is not really whom you know, it is what you know!

As a student of history, I look at these objects and wonder who the men were who received these awards and where these ribbon bars have been for 70 years! From now on they will be identified and appreciated!

What can you tell me about the Pribina award? Was this ribbon bar awarded to an officer? Was he a Slovak or German, perhaps a Romanian. How did it get to Bulgaria?

Perhaps a Bulgarian received this award.

Please help me.

Edited by Arnim

Guest Rick Research

I've only ever found one Slovak single ribbon bar here in the northeast U.S. More often the ribbons show up (at least here!) on German ribbon bars--and usually without any devices, since they are too big for the German 15mm width.

The construction (tab back, backing plates, form of pin) of these ribbon bars is quite unusual, and seems to have been used in Eastern Europe by other Communist regimes?

Has anyone ever seen a multiple awards ribbon bar with 2, 3, or more Slovak ribbons? Why only singles?

Edited by Rick Research

Has anyone ever seen a multiple awards ribbon bar with 2, 3, or more Slovak ribbons? Why only singles?

A fellow in Slovakia helped me to identify these ribbon bars. He has a number of ribbon bars and devices in his collection, but only three Slovakian ribbon bars have multiple awards - one is a four-place, the other two are three-place bars.

Edited by Arnim

• 1 month later...

Here is my contribution to this thread.

I have been lucky to pick up these Slovakian ribbon bars over time. 2, 3 placers and a single bar.

The construction is VERY similar to German manufacture, albeit in a narrower scale. The ribbon bar construction is very sturdy and well designed.

I think my interpretation of these medals is correct:

Bar 1:

Slovakian Bravery Medal with enamel roundel "ZA HRDINSTVO 3. Class"

Slovakian bravery Medal with Clasp "For Merit" "ZA ZÁSLUHY"

commemorative medal for the defence of Slovakia March 1939

Bar 2:

Kríž svetovej vojny (WWI commemorative Cross)

?

commemorative medal for the defence of Slovakia Sept 1939

Bar 3:

Slovakian War Victory Cross "VZK IV. Class"