News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New picture - what awards he received?

Hi All,

I wonder if you would be so kind to tell what kind of awards we can see on below pictures?

Is it possible to identify the man on a picture?

Please click on the images to have a better view :-)

Kind regards,

Marcin

Edited by Marcin L

Marcin,

You have a nice photo of Major Hans von Knauer. He spent most of the war on various staffs as a general staff officer. He commanded FAR 44 from Jun-Oct 1918. He went on to become a Wehrmacht Gen.Maj. z.V. Of note is the fact he served in the Chilean army from 1927-1937. He then became an instructor at the Kriegsakademie, and also a liaison officer to the Condor Legion in Spain.

He was born 15.05.1874 and died 01.02.1944.

I'll leave the awards to the guys who knows those much better than I.

Andy

Marcin,

I just noticed the date on the photo- 14. August 1917. That is the date he became the Chief of the General Staff of XXIV. Reserve Corps! Nice occasion for a photograph.

His awards included: RAO4, HOH3X, BMV4XKr, SA3aXKr, WK2cX, ÖEK3K

Andy

Edited by arb

Guest Rick Research

Ribbon bar =

EK2

HOH3X gazetted 13.01.17 as Maj iG, landwehrkorps

BMV4Xkr awarded 03.03.16 as Maj iG (Bavarians only gave rank not wartime unit)

SA3aXKr (with device normally used on Prussian Crown Orders with XS!) 09.02.16 as Maj iF, Oberkommando Armeeabteilung Woyrsch

OK2 (note EK1 and OK1-- he was a native of Oldenburg)

probably a Hamburg Hanseatic since he is only wearing wartime awards--or that could be his RAO4

ÖM3K

ÖEK3X

He hasn't got his pinback WK2cX yet--I don't have a date for that and that in itself ewas unusual-- a normal Major got WK3X

Great portrait!

Thank you, Rick. Good to have you here again.

I wonder if you or anyone else ever tried to create a database of such "Majors" and other similar ranks. It would be very helpful for me, as I collect Militarpass and other documents.

Regards,

Marcin