News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rittmeister Georg Mayer Bayerisches 2. Schweres Reiter Regiment

I´m searching for information on Rittmeister Georg Mayer from the Bayerisches 2. Schweres Reiter Regiment. He was born in Munich. In august 1914 he was the second-incommand of the Polizeitruppe in Deutsch Neu-Guinea in 1914 and became an australian POW in Sept. 1914.

Any further information is highly welcome, especially his date of birth, awards etc...

Thanks in advance!!

Georg Alfred Mayer, * 17.3.1883 in Munich
    • Bayern: Jubiläumsmedaille für die Armee (1905)
    • Preussen: Kronenorden 4.Klasse mit Schwertern (30.7.06)
    • Bayern: Militär-Verdienstorden 4.Klasse mit Schwertern (16.2.07)
    • Preussen: Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse (24.7.19)
    • Deutsches Reich: Südwestafrika-Denkmünze

Presumably also the Kolonialabzeichen (Elefantenorden)

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-432-0-67591000-1372905780.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-432-0-85043900-1372905792.jpg

Thank you very much for this great information!

I always wondered if there were any Iron Crosses awarded for the combat in Neu-Guinea in 1914, now it´s clear!

Could you maybe also look up a Leutnant der Reserve Stephan Leist born in Enkenbach, Bayern? He also served in Neu-Guinea in 1914.

Nothing on Leist in the Bavarian Kriegsranglisten.

hi mr. danner,

the enclosed link below shows another rittmeister from the same regiment--rick provided some info on him, and i was wondering if you could provide any further details, which of course would be greatly appreciated

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/58866-a-14-ek1-with-a-small-mystery/

Georg Alfred Mayer, * 17.3.1883 in Munich
    • Bayern: Jubiläumsmedaille für die Armee (1905)
    • Preussen: Kronenorden 4.Klasse mit Schwertern (30.7.06)
    • Bayern: Militär-Verdienstorden 4.Klasse mit Schwertern (16.2.07)
    • Preussen: Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse (24.7.19)
    • Deutsches Reich: Südwestafrika-Denkmünze

Presumably also the Kolonialabzeichen (Elefantenorden)

attachicon.gifMayer 1.jpgattachicon.gifMayer 2.jpg

Would it be possible do post a bigger version of the pictures from ancestry? Would be interesting to know, if he not only had a Kolonialabzeichen but also an Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer and some WWII awards?!?

These are Royal Bavarian Army Kriegsranglisten. Except for some Freikorps and vorläufige Reichswehr records, they do not have any information after World War I. The awards I listed above are the only ones in the Kriegsranglisten.

Guest Rick Research

Mayer recieved BMV4XKr 19.01.20, so had apparently been returned from internment by then. He would have worn both Bavarian Military Merit Orders since the colonial one was worn on the statute ribbon and the post-war one for his wartime service was on the M1913 frontline ribbon. I have nothing on him after that.

Thanks for the additional information! I wonder why the BMV4XKr is not listed in his Kriegsrangliste?!? He reached Germany on the 22.07.1919, got his EK2 on the 24.07.1919 and it took them quite exactly six months to award his BMV4XKr ...... some laaaazy bureaucrat! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything (awards ...?) known about the other german participants (EM/NCO/OF) of the defense of Neu Guinea against the australians in september 1914? I have a few names, but nothing else.

Guest Rick Research

They'd be listed in the Reichs-Kolonialblätter if exchanged before the war ended. I don't know how long that continued being published after 11.11.18.