News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

REPUBLIC OF KOREA (SOUTH KOREA) TIGER MEDAL

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

I was recently in Korea (second visit there),and of cours eI went to Korean War Mémorial. This time I took a picture of a medal unknown to me (but extremely well manufactured). A fellow collector told me that during the korean war, some partisan units manufactured their own award. Or shortly after the end of the war, chinese anti-communist partisan that were not part of the Army of South Korea (but fought alongside them) had no the idea to issued their own awards.

I lack knowledge in this specific field. It's not a State Award, but it's beautifull,and it deserve someone who know more to reply this post. Maybe Don would comment this post, he's most welcome to correct the mistake I could have written.

Emmanuel

• 1 month later...

It looks like a private issue (like what Jewelery stores used to issue) The medal itself looks very well made to be a "home grown" production, but then again we don't really have a reserves pic of it either :D

• 10 years later...

Once again, it looks like I am late to the party.

I saw this medal before in the Korean War Museum, but there was no elaboration on the description.

It read: 타이거 여단이 제작하여 수여한 공로 메달 A service medal produced and awarded by the guerrilla Tiger Brigade.

However, the Korean War Museum has since added more information, and I quote:

“It is the Tiger Brigade medal. It is in the form of a circular medal attached to a small number. The diameter of the medal is 6.2 cm and there is a clothespin on the back. A roaring tiger is engraved on the front of the medal. It was awarded by the US military in charge of the guerrilla Tiger Brigade, which was based in Ganghwa Island under Unit 8240 of the UN Command during the Korean War, right before it was incorporated into the ROK Army immediately after the ceasefire.”

Unfortunately, the museum does not have a picture of the reverse or even indicate if there is an inscription on the reverse.

I think it was produced by the company of Jung Il Sa, which did many of the original Korean medals during the War.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I should have made the connection earlier. Here is a picture of the Order of Military Merit, 2nd Class. These were awarded prior to August 1951. In August, the enameling was changed, and the award was renamed the Ulchi Medal.

350H 2nd Class.jpg