News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GOLD U.S. Army Pattern Pilot Wings ... ? !

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

These are full size, perfectly made, with regulation type pin--not what instantly comes to mind as (obviously) "sweetheart jewelry."

The only mark is "GOLD FILLED" down where the black line is drawn on the reverse.

Not regulation for anything the Traveling Museum's U.S.-collecting member has ever heard of. Commrcial airlines seem always to have borne their corporate logo somewhere in their fleet's designs. 1930s airmail pilot self-created? Vinnie Bob's Airborne Hog Movin' Airline?...

Can such superb feathers JUST be for pinning a babe?

A wild guess... not based on anything.... but if a Guy was an Army qualified pilot, and joined the navy... could he have maybe have worn gold wings?

In my experience - one of two situations pertain:

1 - if allowed to wear insignia from another branch of the armed forces - the member would wear them "as is" and according to the current services order of wear. I actually knew a CWO who wore Navy Silver Submariner Dolphins on his flight suit and other uniforms along with his Army Aviator Wings - lots of whiplash on that combo!!!

2 - simply not allowed to wear. USCG did not allow the wear of a friends Army Aviator Wings - insisted on Coast Guard equivalent and only because he was a serving pilot for them - otherwise I suspect he would have worn no badge at all.

Modification of the insignia is unheard of in my experience.