News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Good US article about French Army...

Chris Boonzaier

Thanks Chris, very nice reading.

In return, I just would like to tell younger generations about the U.S. G.I.s from the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division who were fighting with us during the Colmar battle January 1945, in a small Alsatian village called Jebsheim.

The French 5th Armoured Division was the spearhead attacking force, we had the tanks and the G.I.s had their feet in the snow by - 25° Celsius, for days and nights on end.

The Germans, who were the most experience warriors in the World at the time, were fignting to keep Alsace a German country. We were there to get them out because we felt it was our country. The G.I.s were there just because they were fighting a war. And they were superb warriors. We could never have achieived what we did without them;

The battle of Jebsheim cost the American 300 killed, the French 350 and the Germans close to 1.000. in less than 6 days combat. The battle of the Colmar Pocket was won at this terrible cost.

I am happy to have this opportunity to salute those American soldiers in the same friendly way this article gives credit to the French.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hello Chris, hello Veteran.

First a thank you to Chris for bringing our attention to this excellent article. Indeed a good read and this includes the many readers' comments. I believe that the French military has lost about seventy five members in Afghanistan since 2008. The French Defense Department lists all those who fell on that far battle ground as well as on other theaters of operation such as Mali. It seems to me a high proportion of officers and non commissioned officers gave their lives including those who gave theirs at the hands of Afghan allies. As regards Mali six French military personnel have lost their lives to date.

Thank you , Veteran, to have brought to our attention a much forgotten combat of Jebsheim an important part of the Battle of the Colmar Pocket in early 1945.

It seems worthwhile to me to mention that meanwhile relations between France and Germany have gotten so much better, this year being the 50th anniversary of the treaty establishing a new relationship between the two neighbors. Example is the participation at this years 14th July parade in Paris of parts of the French-German Brigade.

Bernhard H. Holst

B.t.w. readers: The French Foreign Legion also paraded including a delegation of my former regiment, 1er REC ( 1.Foreign Cavalry Regiment) but on foot. To my pleasant surprise I came across a small but very good picture in the US paper "The Seattle Times" of July 15 while traveling on the North-West coast. Credit was to AFP / Getty Images but I guess it would be a violation of copy right to post it here.

B.H.H.

Hello Bernhard

i fully agree with your remark about the links existing to-day between the nations which fought out the Second Worl War.

You might like to know that for many years now, surviving German, American, French and Austrian veterans have been invited to attend a joint ceremony by the people of the village of Jebsheim. After shooting at one another, we got along well in peace time, with the mutual respect warriors have for their opponents.

I was reporting events which occured 68 years ago. Things have changed to the better. But the fortitude of those American soldiers is still there for us to remember.

With my very best personnal regards

Veteran.

Hello Bernhard

i fully agree with your remark about the links existing to-day between the nations which fought out the Second Worl War.

You might like to know that for many years now, surviving German, American, French and Austrian veterans have been invited to attend a joint ceremony by the people of the village of Jebsheim. After shooting at one another, we got along well in peace time, with the mutual respect warriors have for their opponents.

I was reporting events which occured 68 years ago. Things have changed to the better. But the fortitude of those American soldiers is still there for us to remember.

With my very best personnal regards

Veteran.

Hello Veteran.

Thank you for the interesting information regarding the post war gatherings of former enemies and the population at Jebsheim. Perhaps time does heal wounds?

Also I am still astonished how one's attachment to one's former regiment remains strong over all the years with memory setting in recalling certain events or persons.

Best regards,

Bernhard H. Holst