News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wurttemberg medal for identification, please...

I've collected British medals for many years but rarely other ones, and not German. I was given the medal shown in the photos a few years ago and came across it in my collection again the other day, but I can't find any reference for it from online searches. I know it's related to Wurttemberg from the inscription on the reverse, but I don't know the name of the medal, what it would have been given for, or to whom? Any information on the medal would be greatly appreciated.

The obverse is gilt and enamel and the reverse is gilt(not shown that well, due to my poor camera)

The wording on the reverse across the left-to-right arms of the cross is: "Furchtlos u. treu" There's 1914 and 1918 on the upper and lower arms. And the wording around the oval centre is :"Wurttembergisches kriegs erinnerungs leichen."

The medal measures about 4cm across (1.5"inches)

(I hope I've posted this in the right place on the forum, apologies if I haven't.)

It's also present on Detlev Niemann's Catalogue (Price Guide - Order and decorations of Germany 1871-1945, ISBN 3-934001-04-1) under 2.02.33 Landesverband Württemberg (Württember Regional Association), Kriegserinnerungszeichen (War commemorative cross).

I have seen worn on different ribbons...

ciao,

Claudi

Edited by Claudio

Really nice to see the medal in different ways, Claudio.

Would there be different ribbons for different 'types' of recipient? Much as the military and civilian versions of MBEs and OBEs vary slightly. Or is the ribbon different on the first one due to the type of bar worn with it? Very interesting stuff, anyway.

What sort of price is the medal worth? I have no intention of selling it, as the person who gave it to me, has since passed away, but I'd be interested to know, roughly.

Thanks ever so much for the input, and the impressively fast responses to my queries.

This is a fascinating forum. I'm sure I'll find myself logging in here again soon, if only to lurk and read and learn about other medals/orders that I don't normally look for. :)