News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finding a Sächsischer Offizierstschako der Verkehrstruppen…

Finding a Sächsischer Offizierstschako der Verkehrstruppen…
    One day I was making my fifth tour (pfff…) on a militaria show somewhere in Germany. Nothing spectacular to find or even to see. All of a sudden I noticed an elderly guy who had a rather worn out box in a plasic bag. He was trying to sell it to some dealers, but failed to do so because some said it was put together and others made remarks you don’t even want to hear…
    After a little while, he was willing to show it to me (as not being a German) and guess what was in the box… Indeed, this super rare Sächsischer Offizierstschako der Verkehrstruppen.
    Anyway, I put up my best pokerface and managed to purchase the Tschako for a very reasonable price. This really made my day!
    The seller knew not so much about what he just had sold, but he could tell that this “helmet” once belonged to his grandfather and that he had served in WW1 as an officer.
    Here are the possibilities:
    Kgl. Sächs. Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.7
    Luftschiffer-Bataillon Nr.2(3.Kompanie)
    Kraftfahr-Bataillon (2.Kompanie)
    Flieger-Bataillon Nr.1(3.Kompanie)
    As you can see, the box is not in the best condition anymore, but it protected its content rather well. What I like very much about this set is that it still was complete with its box, cover and even a small cover for the Feldzeigen. It’s also very cool to see that little pocket in the lid of the box to contain the Feldzeigen and its cover… I’ve never seen this before actually…
    The stamp on the inside of the lid appears to be F. Ritter Prag, but that’s all I can make of it…
    So, enjoy the pictures gentlemen!
    Adler 1
    2na8.jpg
    wl17.jpg
    6b77.jpg
    pmvv.jpg
    p336.jpg
    yj79.jpg
    8yyw.jpg
    4flr.jpg

Fantastc!

I assume a smaller show? I find if you have something good to sell, and you want cash not trade, the smaller nickle and dime dealers or "hobby dealers" at shows are a waste of time. They seldom have what you need in trade, and rarely can afford to put their hands in their pockets to pull out cash.

I got some new and important info from Tony yesterday (thank you very much Tony!!!). He writes the following:
    Kraus Vol II p. 704, Luftschiffer-Bataillon Nr.2 and 3.Kompanie Flieger-Bataillon Nr.1 had gilt chinscales with silver rosettes. Kgl. Sächs. Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.7 had silver chinscales. For Kraftfahr-Bataillon (2.Kompanie) it is quite obscure and I cannot find what chinscales were.
    This actually means it's only with 100% certainty to say that this Tschako is used by Kgl. Sächs. Telegraphen-Bataillon Nr.7. This makes it even rarer than I tought at first... and that's a good thing of course...
    Adler 1