News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

[attachmentid=28140]

Gents, This medal is ground-dug so please forgive the earthen look. What I was wondering was if anyone had one of these in wearable condition with ribbon or what-have-you. Maybe a photo of one in wear. Notice the fine detail on his ribcage. Have a Good Day. Robert

Guest WAR LORD

These were commemoratives for this retaking of the Saar. However they are normally much crisper than the one shown hear. I would be very careful about this pieces as it may be a copy from an original.

Maybe it lost some of its' detail from being in the ground.....I am wanting to see an above grouind example before jumping to such an abrupt decision. I do know some of the Saar tinnies are fakers though. Thank you for your imput Warlord. Robert

What I was wondering was if anyone had one of these in wearable condition with ribbon or what-have-you. Maybe a photo of one in wear........ Have a Good Day. Robert

Don't take it as gospel Robert as these aren't my area, but I seem to recall that these did not come with ribbons. One of those odd awards that had a loop for a ribbon, but wasn't issued with any.

Cheers

Don

Thanks John and Don, I am debating whether or not to clean it. I got this along with an AH medallion that I've since passed along from a group close to my home. They save all of their vacation and sick days and spend it in Europe with a metal detector looking for relics. Those were two of the things they found. My dilemma is whether or not to clean it to prove its' authenticity or leave it alone. I have yet to decide. Talk Soon, Robert

Thanks John and Don, I am debating whether or not to clean it. I got this along with an AH medallion that I've since passed along from a group close to my home. They save all of their vacation and sick days and spend it in Europe with a metal detector looking for relics. Those were two of the things they found. My dilemma is whether or not to clean it to prove its' authenticity or leave it alone. I have yet to decide. Talk Soon, Robert

Hi Robert,

As for cleaning the medal, I would suggest covering it in olive oil and let it sit a few weeks.

Afterwards, take either a soft cloth or a cue tip and gently rub it. You'll be able to remove some of the oxidation & crud. This will help to "dress up" the piece without etching the surface. It'll establish nice highlights and should enhance the overall appearance. Normally I would never clean a piece (that's

probably the "coin collector" in me) but with a "ground dug" piece you almost have no choice.

Try it out, I think you'll like the results.

John

Speaking of metal detecting,...... (I used to have a real passion for it.)

Back in the "old days" (when my knees were still in good shape) I used to go out frequently

in search of old coins. I did pretty well and had lots of fun with it. Approximately 20 years ago I dug this piece in an old schoolyard. Certainly not a Third Reich piece, but kind of interesting I thought.

[attachmentid=28340]

[attachmentid=28422]John, Do you have any clues as to what that is? You must have been shocked when it came out of the ground. Thanks for the advice. I will try that method. Also, when you get a chance, could you look at the ring on your Saar medallion and see if there is a small "tit" on it. This appears not to be an imperfection but a part of the ring. Take a look. Robert

On the other hand I could be totally wrong :jumping: ......... :D

Now that you show it Pete, I do recall the ribbon. Wasn't this one of Detlevs offerings many years back? Nice piece. I looked in his catalogue last night to see if he featured them but couldn't find any.

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers

Don

Not Detlev Don, it came into my junk shop some 20+ years ago (shop long defunct as I couldn't bear to part with most nice items!) I once saw one (it could be Warlords) on a Forman list.

John I love that silver gilt type.

Regards,

Pete

[attachmentid=28422]John, Do you have any clues as to what that is? You must have been shocked when it came out of the ground. Thanks for the advice. I will try that method. Also, when you get a chance, could you look at the ring on your Saar medallion and see if there is a small "tit" on it. This appears not to be an imperfection but a part of the ring. Take a look. Robert

Robert,

Sorry, no idea what that "tit" could be. Mine does not have that feature. Is it centrally located on the loop?

Yes, I was shocked to say the least when I dug that horse-shoe shaped swaz out of the ground. I'm unsure exactly as to what this thing might be. My guess is that it was probably some kind of a "good luck" costume jewelry. Probably early 1900's. Might even be an American Indian piece of some sort. They used the swas motif frequently until Hitler came into power. Never saw one til I dug it up. The blue inlay on the swas looks to be turquoise (a favorite of the American Indian).

John

Edited by John Bart

Not Detlev Don, it came into my junk shop some 20+ years ago (shop long defunct as I couldn't bear to part with most nice items!) I once saw one (it could be Warlords) on a Forman list.

John I love that silver gilt type.

Regards,

Pete

Pete,

Thanks.

Interesting mounting setup on your medal. Never seen one like that.

Very nice!

John