News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-Boat Badge - What do you Think?

Lastly, indoor shot face on (weather is disgusting in London today!)

I do not believe that yours is a good one. I have attached what the mark should look like from another thread on this forum. Yours is typical of the post-war reproductions.

I think I can see a casting line on yours also.

John

Edited by John Robinson

Can you measure the overall width and height. If its a casting these will probably be somewhat less that an original die striking.

First impressions are that the detailing is a bit "soft", the shape of the pin isn;t right and the maker mark doesn't quite look right and is very deeply struck which would be very unusual on an original.

• 5 months later...

Hi Gents,

After far too long, I have at last measured his piece accurately in hope of some definitive proof of it being a 'cast' or not. The dimensions from my specially-purchased electronic calipers are as follows:

Thickness measured at 3 o'clock - 3.02mm

Height measured at 6 o'clock - 39.32 mm

Width measured at 3 o'clock - 48.66 mm

Does this throw any light on the subject?

Many Thanks

Gilbert

Hello Gilbert,

I must say I do not like that badge at all. As Gordon says it is too soft in details and the maker mark is too deep and incorrect in size. I know of several just like this for sale here in Arizona, and from the ones I have held they are no good. The badge you have in the photo I would not be happy with.

Compare to the original U-boats in the photo supplied by John (my badge is the one on the left w/red background and C catch). This badge was obtained from a 9th US Infantry vet. The stamping of the maker mark alone would cause me great concern.

Regards,

Jody

Hi Gents,

After far too long, I have at last measured his piece accurately in hope of some definitive proof of it being a 'cast' or not. The dimensions from my specially-purchased electronic calipers are as follows:

Thickness measured at 3 o'clock - 3.02mm

Height measured at 6 o'clock - 39.32 mm

Width measured at 3 o'clock - 48.66 mm

Does this throw any light on the subject?

Many Thanks

Gilbert

Gilbert,

At this point, I am sure you are relatively convinced on this piece. I would like to see an exact shot like I have in post #11, same size image, of the maker's mark, and if you have the ability with a decent photo program, put it side by side. If not, just post the image and I will do it. Make it as close to the image in #11 as possible.

John

Thanks Guys,

I owe it to myself and you to take some decent snaps of this thing - I agree that the evidence so far doesn't seem encouraging. Based on the info we do have so far, how do the measurements shape up?

Cheers

Gilbert

Thanks Guys,

I owe it to myself and you to take some decent snaps of this thing - I agree that the evidence so far doesn't seem encouraging. Based on the info we do have so far, how do the measurements shape up?

Cheers

Gilbert

Best thing is to get the photos and we can put the catch and maker's mark side by side. The measurements at this point is somewhat mute I think. John

• 6 months later...

At last I have taken a half decent snap of the stamp and catch for comparison - does this change things at all? I can see similar characteristics with both styles both posted by John, however the stamp is much deeper...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Gilbert

At last I have taken a half decent snap of the stamp and catch for comparison - does this change things at all? I can see similar characteristics with both styles both posted by John, however the stamp is much deeper...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Gilbert

A reproduction in my opinion. John