News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US WW 1 Officer

christerd

Found this photo framed in an internet auction in Sweden :o

First I thought he was British so I posted in that forum , but memebers told me he was a US Major or Lt Col

When I now search for the awards hes wearing I think he has a WW 1 medal with three citation stars

Is that unusual ? and a Mexcian Border Service medal , and four more that I cant see (to dark pic)

As the WW1 medal seem to be among the latest I suppose this Pic is from 1919-1920 ?

Could anyone tell me some more about him ....

Regards from sweden

Christer

Guest Rick Research

He is in the Quartermaster (Supply) Corps. The ribbons are very hard to make out--it almost looks like a French Croix de Guerre with 3 stars and then a U.S. Victory Medal ribbon with nothing on it--which wouldn't make sense. I suspect he was a Lieutenant Colonel since the leaves are bright and not chocolate bronze like the rest of his insignia.

Ed, I thought the patch was the 79th Div when I first looked, but it isn't... His patch is for the Advance Section Services of Supply. See this link: http://www.worldwar1...dbc/adv_sos.htm

As Ricky states, he's WWI US Army officer of the Quartermaster Corps (insignia on collar). I'd also agree that he's most likely a lieutenant colonel...

I think it very unlikely a QM officer in the Advance Section Services of Supply would receive a Croix de Guerre with three stars. A CdG possibly, but not with citation stars. Just unlikely in my opinion. I see the top two ribbons to be WWI Victory Medal with 3 campaign stars and Mexican Border Service Medal; not unusual at all for this officer. I can't make out the long bar right above pocket and that does seem unusual if they are all pre-WWI. Possibly some National Guard ribbons.

Edited by IrishGunner

Guest Rick Research

I couldn't make anything out either. Could be Indian Wars, from the looks of him!

Three stars on a Victory Medal would surprise me too-- I'd have thought somebody like this would have been at one of the French ports of debarkation, not up front and divisional. Battle clasps/ribbon bar stars had to be earned on a divisional order of battle affiliation.

I well remember my great uncle (later Colonel in the Pacific) and his old Doughboy buddies quite annoyed at getting "France" (with NO star authorized) as a clasp--like the Cherbourg-huggers--BECAUSE his engineer detachment was independent of an American divisonal OoB. As if he hadn't been under German fire!

My mother's first boss commanded a company in one of the "negro" regiments sent off to fight with the French. Heroic war record... and "France."

Edited by Rick Research

I appreciate the sarcasm :P But Indian Wars is a far stretch I think...

On the other hand, the Spanish-American War doesn't seem too far of a stretch. 1898 to 1918 is only 20 years. If he had been in Cuba as a young officer, a nice ribbon bar could've resulted... Spanish Campaign Medal, Cuban Occupation Medal are possible. Add a short diversion to the Philippines sometime between 1898 and 1913 and he adds the Philippine Campaign Medal. Then a state decoration... All plausible, but difficult to say given the darkness of the ribbon bar image.

Guest Rick Research

No, I meant it--looks late 50s-- he coulda been out there in the 1880s. Wounded Knee was 1890.

One of my more remote cousins was a 56 year old direct-commission medical corps Major in 1918... so if the fellow here was ex-State Militia/National Guard he could have been pushing 60 too. Depends on where he was from for what sort of action he might have seen previously. QMC not a glamor branch. (That's what my WW1 engineers great uncle was in the Pacific.)

You're right Ricky...could have an Indian Campaign Medal in there too. QM wasn't (and still isn't) glamorous, but as some now-dead senior officer said, - “I don't know what the hell logistics is, but I want some of it.” If he was a respected logistician, it was quite possible he repeatedly was called to the flag for all those campaigns.

You wouldn't necessarily have to go all the way back to 1891, the last qualifying year for Indian Campaign Medal.

For example, the 9th Infantry Regiment was in the Siege of Santiago de Cuba in June/July 1898, and subsequently was sent to the Philippines, and from there to China. Depending on when he left Cuba (qualifying period was 18 July 1898 - 20 May 1902), someone with that regiment could have gotten the Spanish, China and Philippine Campaign Medals and the Cuban Pacification Medal. And that's not counting society awards like the medal of the Society of the Army of Santiago de Cuba.

A close-up on the branch insignia might help date the photo. I agree it is Quartermaster Corps. The Insignia was changed just post-war to have the Eagle's head above the wings. During the War, the head was superimposed on the wing.

Also agree that this patch is not the 79th division, but the Advanced Sector Service of Supply.

Sorry, but I can't help on the ribbons.