News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian/Hanoverian Ueberweisungsnationale, wounded at Verdun

Hello:

Here are copies of pages contained in the unit kept Nationale for Musketier August Lohmann who was severely wounded during the Battle of Verdun. These wounds resulted in his classification of 70% inability to perform his trades ( he was a mason and butcher by trade or mason during good weather and butcher in winter when hog slaughters took place).

The booklet lists his decorations as the Iron Cross II.cl. He was later issued a certificate entitling him to a low level civil service position.

Bernhard H. Holst

Guest Rick Research

Left lower arm... both legs... "l. arm amp." So much for THAT! No mention in that laconic entry of above or below the elbow, but no more left hand.

This is the sort of story that always makes me wonder whether he was dead at 37 or lived to be 95 like that.

Left lower arm... both legs... "l. arm amp." So much for THAT! No mention in that laconic entry of above or below the elbow, but no more left hand.

This is the sort of story that always makes me wonder whether he was dead at 37 or lived to be 95 like that.

Hello Rick.

I remember well the old veterans who were minus limb(s). The terrible inflation in the twenties until Schacht instituted the Rentenmark.WW I with the artillery deployment especially at Verdun. I have another booklet , wounded in the first few days of the war and an invalid.

BTW: my godfather ( KIA Italy April 1945) went through apprenticeship for mason and butcher also. I could spent some days with him before the war which I enjoyed very much. My two girl cousins were so little that they never got in the way...

Bernhard H. Holst