News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Document KvK 2nd class..With swords

Yet another. This one to a former Narvikk?mpfer from Dietl's GJR 139. At Narvik in 1940 he was a gefreiter, he survived the war ending as an Oberfeldwebel and Kompanie Hauptfeldwebel still in the same regiment. Ironically GJR 139 surrendered almost exactly where they had fought and won their famous victory at Narvik 5 years previously. Sig belongs to Reinhard Merkel, DKiG

Guest Rick Research

Just missed 60th anniversary of quite illegal "I have awarded...." KVK2X from Mensching-- whose biography simply states that he went from being commandant of Trondheim airbase to POW of the British 8 May 1945 to 1948-- NO mention of "Commander of German Air Force, Norway" !!!!

This thread also has an ALLIED command designation for the post-war self-administered Wehrmacht forces--

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1707...indpost&p=13436

I don't find anything on naval engineer Walter Lieske in the gaps in my sources, 1.1.39 to 1.9.44 so either KIA or a dR officer. There was a Herbert Lieske listed as an engineer alive on the latter date.

Indeed Rick, had me scratching my head too. But, as luck would have it both Roth and Mensching were guests at His Majesty's pleasure at the Island farm camp in the UK. According to the excellent website about it's guests Roth became a POW on the 9th June

link

and Mensching followed on the 28th Nov.

link

As Mensching was the next senior LW bod in Norway it would certainly fit that he took on the job, if only nominally.

As for Lieske, i can't find him either amongst the KM lists i have for the war's end in Norway. Perhaps as you say, a dR.

Guest Rick Research

Nothing on Giering, who was probably a 'war's duration" appointee.

Oskar Kummetz (1891-1980) was sunk aboard "Bl?cher" in Oslo harbor in 1940. Knight's Cross 18.1.41 but no "war badge"! Commander of naval forces Baltic 1 March 1944 until demobilization 23 July 1945 and then POW until November 1946.

Generaladmiral 16 September 1944

• 3 weeks later...