News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden Oberst von Wechmar with rare awards (1880s CDV)

Here's one the latest additions to my photo collection - faded a bit but still beatiful and rare portrait of a Baden Oberst von Wechmar with a huge medal bar comprising of RAO3X with bow, Baden officers DA, etc. CDV is dated November 06, 1870 on its reverse (it was my mistake while naming a thread))

The most interesting part is an Imperial and Tsarist Order of Saint Stanislaus 2nd Class with crown (!)

According to the Statute of that decoration, prior to February 17, 1874 it could have been awarded either with an Imperial crown as an enhanced grade or without such. However, holders of Orders with crown were allowed to wear their awards even after the Royal Decree abolished additional decoration.

Is it possible to acquire additional information on that officer, i.e. his full name, complete awards list, positions, etc.?

All I managed to find out is that Oberst von Wechmar was a commander of the 1st Brigade (that comprised of the 1st (Baden)(Leib) Grenadier Regiment and the 2nd (Baden) Grenadier Regiment) of the Baden Division under Generalleutenant von Glumer.

/Source: Prussian XIV Corps, 19 January 1871/

Edited by Freiwillige

Guest Rick Research

I know many people seem obsessed that their images are going to be stolen--and I've had some of mine posted all over without credit or permission BUT:

we Research Gnomes LOVE IMAGES. We do not want "slap across" things spoiling the "view"--for aesthetic reasons as much as possibly covering something crucial.

Post a nice CLEAN scan and you'll get answers from several of us TIRED of this practice of ruining images. We don't think that is too much to expect as our only "payment" for time and effort. I am not alone in our small numbers of just not going to bother for ruined images.

It is also quite possible with computers to enhance and sharpen these poor old sepia images--usually come out better copied in black and white with contrast tweaked.

Edited by Rick Research

Dear Rick, I'm really sorry watermark I applied on a CDV did "ruin" an image, even though I've posted two separate fragments with awards without any logo. My request actually was to provide, if possible, full name, complete awards list and positions of Oberst Wechmar, commander of the 1st Brigade of the Baden Division from the Prussian XIV Corps. Hopefully these better scans will help to acquire the info I asked for ;)

Edited by Freiwillige

Rudolf Frhr. von Wechmar (26.11.1823-18.10.1881)

He was a Prussian officer who began his career in Gren. R. 6 in 1841. He held several General staff positions. In 1868 he left the Prussian army to take commander of the Baden Gren. R. 109 on 18. Nov. 1868. He was the "Führer" of the 1. Baden Inf. Brig. from 18.12.1870. When the Baden army became part of the Prussian army in 1871, he was back in the Prussian Army. 12.12.1873 Commander of the 21. Inf. Brig., 02. Mai. 1874 promoted Gen.Maj. 13.01.1880 commander of 11. Div. He retired on 10.09.1881. He died barely a month later.

He also had the PLM (awarded 19.01.1873) and EK1

Andy

Edited by arb