News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

matchlock

technician415

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Technician. Photos are not always the best way of identifying old weaponry - however, I must say that my first impressions are that this has been adapted

from a much later pistol. This could have been done as a means to demonstrate a match-lock. I could always be quite wrong, but the shape of the grip

and the mechanics don't look correct. You say that it was in a secondary part of your Father's collection - this may well have been the reason ?

I suggest you take it to a local auction - actually handling it should let them make a decion and a valuation for you. Mervyn

I would agree with Mervyn - this does not look right. At least some of the screws appear to be machine cut, so several centuries too late for a matchlock, and I don't think the match holder is correct - the tube is unnecessary and would impede the functioning. matchlocks also don't have the same trigger mechanism as flintlock and later guns, as the match needs to be lowered slowly into the pan, not snapped down. The trigger suggests a flint or percussion lock to me.

I think this is a put together piece, using [probably] flintlock parts, not a real weapon. However, as Mervyn says, consult experts. free advice is, after all, sometimes only worth what you pay for it! ;) Good luck.

Peter

My area of interest starts with flint locks and ends with percussion, that is to say before cartridge weapons. However, upon looking at this piece I agree with Mervyn and Peter. I did take a look through some of my books that deal with match locks but to no great detail as they feature guns from the areas of my interest. My books would lead me to this conclusion; if this were on a dealer's table I would pass it by as there is too much about this that says it is a percussion weapon modified to look and perhaps function as a match lock. The trigger is not of the correct period as Peter points out and therefore would not even properly function as a match lock... so please do not test fire it.

There are parts, screws included, that would not be found on a weapon made before the 19th cnetury, in my opinion.

Regards

Brian