News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Actually, HE was at home--

the card is addressed to an Unteroffizier at the U.S. POW Camp.

This kid is a F?hnrich (? zur See? any device on his string straps?). Whatever minimal "message" is pencilled in on the left (I can make out a partial DATE) I cannot read from this scan.

There were many Sch?nemanns in the Imperial navy and Kriegsmarine, and if this was a brother and not a friend, possibly the engineer officer who retired as a Flottillenadmiral in the Bundesmarine, Dr. Werner Sch?nemann. But that would depend on the date pencilled in matching rank-- unless it was an old photo. Werner went in in '38 and was an Oberlt (Ing) in 1943, so a Lt circa 1941.

Anybody able to google up a Bundesmarine admiral photo for face comparison?

Actually, HE was at home--

the card is addressed to an Unteroffizier at the U.S. POW Camp.

This kid is a F?hnrich (? zur See? any device on his string straps?). Whatever minimal "message" is pencilled in on the left (I can make out a partial DATE) I cannot read from this scan.

There were many Sch?nemanns in the Imperial navy and Kriegsmarine, and if this was a brother and not a friend, possibly the engineer officer who retired as a Flottillenadmiral in the Bundesmarine, Dr. Werner Sch?nemann. But that would depend on the date pencilled in matching rank-- unless it was an old photo. Werner went in in '38 and was an Oberlt (Ing) in 1943, so a Lt circa 1941.

Anybody able to google up a Bundesmarine admiral photo for face comparison? wow all this from a photo thanks rick

Guest Rick Research

If the late 1942 dated ones are in seaman's gear, then it can't be the later BM Admiral.

I don't find a G?nther S. in the postwar MOHeV directories, so either NOT that family, killed 1944/45, or just never joined up in the ex naval Officers Association.

• 9 months later...

Our local U-Boot man was a POW in England, then in the USA.....

Apparently he had a great time picking potatoes in the USA, and had a photo of "a lady of color" that he had a brief relationship with in captivity, he seems to have had a great and sincere liking for her.

He could speak no german, only thick Bavarian... and I always wondered how he made himself understood with all then "Northern germans" in the Navy....