News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Simple EK2 Doc (maybe a little research)

Lacking in anticipatory foreplay and not as cool as Chris' EK docs, I still offer this simple EK2 doc to Gefreiter Richard Zimmermann of the Niedersächsisches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 46 for your comments/thoughts.

One thing I'm still trying to get my head around with EK docs is the dates; how to tell when the award was presented and when the award was actually earned. This doc has only one date, 18 Oct 1917 - the date the award was presented. A quick look at the battles of the 20. Infantrerie-Division, of which FAR 46 was a part, shows no battles on that exact date, but shows "27.09.–10.10.1917 Schlacht in Flandern" and just before that in mid-September, the Division was transported from the Eastern to the Western Front. I'm only guessing, but I would suppose then that Zimmermann won his EK in early October in Flanders.

The doc just arrived in the mail today; so, there's a lot more research to be done, but I wanted to put it up here for your comments...

Unfortunately, the seller split the EK2 doc from Zimmermann's Wound Badge document and I did not win that auction (the winner of the Wound doc didn't even bid on the EK2 doc!).

Chris, is there a rule of thumb for how long after an action a doc might be presented? Any chance this was for action on the Eastern Front?

Of course, more research into the regimental history etc needs to be done, just looking for rough azimuths...

Hi,

It was only ion early 1916 that Units were required to issue documents at all. Many had by then already issued docs on their own initiative, but many early 1916 docs are "catch ups" for guys who had recieved awards but no docs in 1914-15.

I had floated this theory for a few years, based on observation, then the Wernitz book nailed it by finding an order/Statute.

By 1917 things seem to have been more or less up and running... I would say (as a rough rule of thumb) docs usually followed a few days to sometimes a month or so after the award.

It is only possible to know when you have one of the docs with an award date AND the date it was signed.... or if there is a Militärpass with it.