News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Robin - a nice buy - what did you pay ?

Brian has rightly identified it for the approx. period. They were made by Parker Field and Co. - who were

the official armourers to the Metropolitan Police. Many County Forces used them and also in Scotland.

They were carried in a leather case on the belt - this had a spring at the bottom and the staff 'popped-up'

when the case was opened. They are very hard to find with the original case. This has more ebony rings

then is usual - but, otherwise is a standard type. I think there is an inscription on the lower half - please

tell us the wording, it will identify who it was for.

They had another version for County senior officers and for Magistrates - this has ivory rings.

Parker always stamped their name - from this we can tell the date - so please tell us how it is styled. Mervyn

Thanks for posting these photos, Brian.

Mervyn ............. it cost £313. Not cheap, but I have always wanted one and I've seen similar examples fetch £500+. There were 20-odd other bids.

I'll post details of any inscription when I receive the tipstaff, hopefully in the next couple of days. .

I would say that was a fair price. They are not engraved very often - usually to Chief Constables and

Magistrates. This adds greatly to the value. Strange it doesn't have PF's name. Certainly their pattern.

The base of the tipstaff is made to look like a shotgun cartridge.......... Mervyn