News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Naval Sword of Honour 1816?

Enclosed a painted portrait of Vice-Admiral Baron Van Capellen, RNLN, who commanded the Dutch Naval squadron in the action off Algiers during the famous bombardment by Lord Exmouth in 1816. The Prince Regent made him a Commander of the Bath and the Duke of Clarence presented a Sword of Honour to him.

Can any of the Gentlemen confirm that the sword he is wearing, is this Sword of Honour?

Personally, I would say No. The usual Presentation swords were in 50 guinea and 100 guinea values. They were given

by The Patriotic Fund and were curved and very heavily etched.

However, it may well be a presentation sword given to him by the Royal Family. The Duke of Clarence became King William 4th

and was known as the 'Sailor King'. Mervyn

Hello Odulf,

I like these types of questions bacause they give me a reason to go through my reference books yet another time.

I am sorry to say that this time I could not find a sword like this, however, I cannot find my book on British Naval Swords, so I will keep looking.

Perhaps another member with more knowledge or better memory as to where they put all of their books will be able to assist you.

Regards

Brian

It looks like Mervyn and I were posting at the same time, I do think the hilt looks British. What do you think Mervyn?

The square ivory grip looks as if it could be British style, but there were lots and lots of European swords which look very like some of the British ones. Mervyn is right about the standard 'patriotic' presentation swords given to Napoleonic heroes - usually curved a la light infantry and cavalry sabres.

However, a special Honour Sword would, I think, be by definition non-regulation so, not in the books, Brian :( . Presumably the King, if he awarded it, would have ordered 'something special', either with specific details he wanted to see or leaving it to the discretion of the makers. Very possibly a 'one off' though it would certainly follow the general style of the time and perhaps in this case, of the Navy.

My tuppence 'orth

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Mervyn

I didn't actually intend to make a case for it being British - "The square ivory grip looks as if it could be British style, but there were lots and lots of European swords which look very like some of the British ones". :whistle:

I was just musing on Brian's comments that he hadn't found it in his source books and suggesting that it might not be in the books because it was a 'one off'. However, it may be the case, perhaps more likely the case, that its a Dutch sword on a Dutch Admiral!

And, as its a formal portrait, he would wear his best sword, wouldn't he, not his swinging through the rigging one? :cheeky:

Peter

:off topic: BTW, it looks a certainty now that Siobhan will be at U Capetown from February on, if they accept her credentials and money. probably for a full year!

Mervyn

I didn't actually intend to make a case for it being British - "The square ivory grip looks as if it could be British style, but there were lots and lots of European swords which look very like some of the British ones". :whistle:

I was just musing on Brian's comments that he hadn't found it in his source books and suggesting that it might not be in the books because it was a 'one off'. However, it may be the case, perhaps more likely the case, that its a Dutch sword on a Dutch Admiral!

And, as its a formal portrait, he would wear his best sword, wouldn't he, not his swinging through the rigging one? :cheeky:

Peter

:off topic: BTW, it looks a certainty now that Siobhan will be at U Capetown from February on, if they accept her credentials and money. probably for a full year!

There you have a point Peter, but it has yet not been confirmed to be a Dutch naval sword either...

The little gilted sabre on the epaulette indicates that he had been awarded with a Sword of Honour (a very rare distingtiive).