News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

President Obama to Award Medal of Honor

JPL

On October 15, 2013, President Barack Obama will award William Swenson, a former Army Captain, the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. Capt. Swenson will receive the Medal of Honor for his courageous actions while serving as an Embedded Trainer and Mentor of the Afghan National Security Forces with Afghan Border Police Mentor Team, 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, during combat operations in Kunar Province, Afghanistan on September 8, 2009. Capt. Swenson will be the sixth living recipient to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan. His military decorations include: Bronze Star Medal with Two Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters, Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with One Campaign Star, Iraq Campaign Medal with Two Campaign Stars, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, Combat Infantryman Badge, Ranger Tab, Parachutist.

Read more: http://www.dodlive.mil/index.php/2013/09/president-obama-to-award-medal-of-honor/

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul,

I clicked the link, it may be my incompetence but it didn't give an account of why he is awarded the honour?

It also seams quite a time delay if the action was in 2009, is this normal for such a high award?

Look forward to reading his citation!

Jock:)

Hi Jock,

You are correct, the citation is missing. I found this news item which contains not only details of what happened but a video from a helmet cam taking during the action.

http://wtkr.com/2013/09/19/army-captain-to-receive-medal-of-honor-for-bravery-in-afghanistan-ambush/

As for taking so long, another article states that his nomination was "lost"...

Meyer and two other Marines have been honored for their valor during the operation, but Swenson – who was first nominated for the Medal of Honor in 2009 – had not received any award for his actions. Many believed the delay was an effort to kill the nomination after Swenson was publicly critical of the command’s decisions during the battle. In 2011, after officials said the original nomination had been lost, Marine Gen. John Allen, then the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, resubmitted the paperwork. Read the article: http://www.stripes.com/news/us/capt-william-swenson-former-soldier-to-receive-medal-of-honor-1.241604

Jean-Paul

What a remarkable soldier, it is a bit of a worry that his paperwork was 'lost' for so long?

I guess the recent publication of the camera footage suddenly prompted its re-appearance.

I hate these political weasels that hate to have the truth voiced and if the brave captain is to be judged by his actions, I doubt that he would shrink from them in telling them how it was.

At least it has been sorted,

Jock:)