News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Second World War Medal Entitlements 320 / 321 Squadrons R.A.F

I am trying to establish what would have been the typical 'standard' medal entitlement(s) and issue of CAMPAIGN / WAR medals to Netherlands service personnel of 320 / 321 (Netherlands) Squadrons Royal Air Force.

Specifically I am interested to learn about the medal entitlements of those pre-war regulars who escaped, or were evacuated to the United Kingdom in 1940, and who subsequently joined 320 & 321 Squadrons and served through to Victory in Europe in 1945.

I have tried some general searches on the internet hoping to get photographs or images of Netherlands

320 / 321 Squadrons veterans wearing their medal groups, however the pictures I have seen thus far are all inconclusive, either being very poor quality, or appearing not to be complete groups basis the general absence of British campaign medals

I suspect - but do not know - that the below following would have been the campaign medals that most personnel would have received;

- Netherlands War Commemorative Cross (with clasp(s)?)
    - UK: 1939-45 Star (Air Crew only)
    - UK: The Atlantic Star (Air Crew only, clasp 'France & Germany' if eligible)
    - UK: The France & Germany Star (for aircrew only operational post D-Dy 1944)
    - UK: Defence Medal
    - UK: War Medal

Is above correct, or wrong?

I would be interested to receive any guidance or explanation on above, and or to see any images of medal bars / groups.

In advance thanks.

Mark

Mark, your assumption of the medal entitlement is correct. The fact that the british stars and medals are absent in later medalgroups is because the Dutch MoD did not allow the wearing of them. After retirement some veterans put them in their group.

Regards

Herman

Hi Brett,

It has something to do with double decorating for the same period. Direct after WW2 dutch miltary personell were not allowed to wear two or more campaign medals for the same period. The Netherlands instituted the Oorlogherinneringskruis (OHK) with in total 11 clasps and that was it. If one was entitled to a France and Germany star, one should wear the equivalent clasp to the Dutch war cross and not the star. There were rules indicating which medal entitled one to which clasp to the OHK.

With hindsight a somewhat shortsighted reason. It has also something to do with the general mindset of the Dutch Forces/ MoD then. Most of them, at least the officers, were POW's in WW2. They were not fond of the 'new breed' war veterans who fought at the Allied site and had the medals to show it. Perhaps this had something to do with it aswell.

Nowadays double decotaring is quite common. If a Dutch soldier goes on a mission under UN, NATO or EU flag he will receive both medals.

Now, for Marks initial question. I checked my photo archive and found a few of Dutch personell at one point serving with 320 or 321 squadron. Some of them received a DFC which is proudly worn in the group. But no stars and medals in those groups. I found a few groups with the British stars and medals, but they are for Dutch who flew in other RAF squadrons.

Lets see if i can upload some pics.

The first pic is the medalgroup of an officer who flew with 320. He rose to Rear Admiral. His name is Hans van der Kop.

The second pic is of a ribbon bar to Willem de Wolff who flew in the RAF but not with 320 and 321.

The third pic is a medalgroup of a unknown Dutch Airforce officer who flew in WW2 in the east

The last pic is of Heye Schaper's medalgroup, who flew with 320 sq, in WW2, and was awarded a MWO4 and a DFC for the same action. Was a POW and after WW2 he rose eventually to 4 star General.

Herman

Edited by Herman

Herman

Thank you for your very comprehensive answers to the questions posed in this thread. The groups with medals of both countries reflect both the war service and the nationality of the wearer and I find them a very appealing reflection of the history of WWII as it affected the Dutch nation.

Regards

Brett

Herman,

Many thanks for your clarification, and confirmation on what campaign medals were generally issued - just the information I was looking for, and certainly clears up the mystery about why some Dutch veterans in post-war years had none, some or partial British campaign medal entitlements in their mounted medal groups.

Yours aye,

Mark