News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What is it? (5)

wm5806

This was recently purchased through a 'large internet auction site'.

As you can see, the pendant part of the jewel is similar to the Scottish Royal Ark Mariner's breast jewel, although the ribbon is quite different to their normal rainbow colours. The ribbon on this is reminiscent of the borders of an English (and possibly others) Royal Arch apron. I would date it as being towards the end of the 19th Century from its style and construction.

[attachmentid=28469]

However, I am not really sure what it is - someone even suggested that it might be Oddfellows - and would be grateful for your suggestions and ideas.

Many thanks,

WM5806

• 1 month later...

Thanks Alan,

The design made me think of a Chapter apron, but I didn't think as far as the ribbon being taken from a Chapter apron.

I asked the vendor whether he knew if the ribbon was original but, unfortunately, he said it had come from a house clearance with a load of other (non-Masonic) items and couldn't really tell me.

The ribbon bars are similar to those illustrated in a THLamb's catalogue from 1888.

Other than that, I really don't have any idea of its origins....

WM5806

On further thought.I believe the ribbon to be a Red Herring.The Jewel is without doubt some form of R.A.M. Grand Rank,and the Chapter ribbon applied when the original ribbon rotted away.

Alan S 1313 C

Hi Alan

I'm fairly happy that the jewel is from the Sottish RAM degree, rather than Grand Rank, the jewel for which is known in these parts - by those that wear it - as the 'flying b*llock'; it was just the ribbon throwing me.

In R.A.M.,Gold usually denotes Grand.

Alan 1313 C

Hi Alan

You're absolutely right - as far as the English Constitution goes. I have an idea that the Scots have a slightly different approach and I enclose a pic of a more modern, silver-gilt jewel (1904, Richard Spencer) from the Scottish RAM degree to go some way to illustrating this.

Kind regards

WM5806

[attachmentid=31788]

• 1 month later...

[attachmentid=28469]

Try looking around the RAOB higher degree "Companions of The ARK", you have to remember that the regalia and jewels for RAOB side and higher orders are (or were) designed by the individual lodges.

Try looking around the RAOB higher degree "Companions of The ARK", you have to remember that the regalia and jewels for RAOB side and higher orders are (or were) designed by the individual lodges.

Thanks Humber,

Very interesting idea and can see where you're coming from.

I had certainly not even thought about it having any origins other than Masonic, so will learn my lesson and keep my mind open! :D However, I still think it's most likely Scottish or early English RAM, although your suggestion has introduced that important 'element of doubt' in my mind.

The only mention I can find of the "Companions of the Ark" is here, but unfortunately no (relevant) jewels are pictured. Nor is there any reference in Victoria Solt Dennis' book "Discovering Friendly and Fraternal Societies: Their badges and regalia" (2006, published by Shire).

I have a friend who's an avid collector of Buffs regalia, so will ask him and report back.

Regards,

WM5806

• 7 years later...

HI

with regards to comments on the RAOB..

There are no side side or higher orders and Compannions of the ark is not RAOB.

This doesnt look like a RAOB jewel to me.

Lodges only design their own personal Lodge jewel. all degree and office jewels are issued by each banners grand lodge.

We dont just get any old thing made at a whim.

Paul Richardson (RAOB GLE)

• 1 month later...