News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Panzerschiff Deutschland

Sal Williams

Hi Guys (and girls if we have any here),

I got this little group with the postcard dated only about 2 months before Panzerschiff Deutschland went to Spain for the first time. (on a subsequent journey to Spain it was attacked and bombed by Republican forces causing much damage and a number of fatalities). here is the KM cap band with metal wire embroidery.

And the final piece of this little group is interesting. It is an invitation card to a party on board the ship. I notice that it says Wilhelmshaven (where the ship was built and often stationed) , is it possible this is an invitation card to the Christening party for the ship? I assumed Ad. Heine was an Admiral but in my searches i found no such admiral so maybe it means something completely different?

Edited by Sal Williams

Guest Rick Research

Hey, it's tough on my old neck trying to read things SIDEWAYS!!!! :P

Heine was the printer of the invitation card.

The postcard is addressed to a Herrn K. Gallmayer in a NON-German place, something Scandinavian methinks, maybe Dutch. Place starts with Aa and ends with aa.

Message in German though and addressed to parents and siblings, seems to be greetings FROM the ship (as in from a visitor, not a crewmember) and MORE greetings and kisses in lieu of an other message.

That's when I get this TERRIBLE sciatic CRICK and have to go run full-tilt into a wall to straighten back up, alarming the Sole Surviving Cat. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest jepari

The postcard was most likely sent to the town of Aabenraa in Denmark. The postoffice stamp is from Copenhagen, and since it doesn't mention any country in the address is most likely been sent as domestic mail within Denmark ......

And very interesting grouping - by the way