News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some folks think I am crazy, but I have damaged most of my filters....

Many, many filters have rust, and in spite of the coal on the inside, they often rust through from the inside...

With a couple of exceptions, I have emptied all my filters, for 2 reasons that come to mind....

1) Many filters back then were used to filter poison Gas.... there may be a tiny chance that there is a residual danger left in them..

2) More importantly... I prefer to ruin a filter by emptying it, and treating any rust spots from the inside and the outside, than to leave it 2untouched" and over the years see the rust eat it away.

What do you guys think?

Chris

If you need charcoal for your outdoor grill they do sell it you know. They is a story of a reenactor hitting the dirt wearing a mask some say it was the poison in the mask but more likely he just collapsed from the effort, they must have been tough as old nails to wear them in combat me thinks.

Eric

You have to pry open the front rim and dump it I did it on my gig filter if your not a reenactor don't there really is no need imo if there is rust on the outside its to late anyway... Chris is a naughty boy...a vandal. :shame:

Eric

Edited by Hoss

Personally, I think Chris is crazy, but it has nothing to do with filters. :)

I wouldn't buy a filter that had rust damage, unless it was one of the more rare examples. If you keep your home temperature controlled, you should never have a problem. Keeping them from rusting can also be accomplished by leaving the metal cap and paper cover on and leaving them in the taped can! :) I've known guys that have pulled the original paper covers off!

Chip

• 1 month later...

We were warned before a bus trip once mountain bandits were in the area so us lucky ones flew in the hills high up one of our mexican mechanics had to fix the brakes!!! then they had a couple of punctures poor devils Lol! Old Mexico is wonderful and so are the people going back some day.

Eric

Edited by Hoss

I saw that one on Emig and about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. Did he actually sell it? That's over twice what I thought they were selling for. But then it does have three cans (I have paid $100 for an empty one!). If the Germans only knew to save them.....

Chip