News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Sword

buellmeister

Gentlemen,

This sword was part of a small collection that I recently purchased from a co-worker. This sword and an early manufactured Nambu T-14 were brought back from his now deceased step- father from the Philippines. This sword as stated to me by member's from MCF thought it was a Civilian or Family sword that was carried by a Japanese officer into combat. The Tsuba and wooden scabbard are civilian and the leather sheath is military to provide a basis for this theory. The blade is unmarked as well as all of the components of this sword. I was wondering if there are any telltale signs to what swordsmith and to what era it was manufactured. I thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

Regards,

Joel

Chris, I thank you for your reply. However, there are no marks on the tang. Unfortunately.....

Joel

as you probably know, that would be the only way you could trace the smith

i can help but think that the sword looks a little mismatched, the combat cover is in great condition but the sword looks ....well bloody rough, the habaki (brass collar on blade) looks like it was hammered on to make it fit

Absolutely not angered at all. I apprecialte all the information you can provided me. I'll make one last scan of the Tang to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me on any maker's marks. I fully understand your point and that could be the case with this sword.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Joel

Absolutely not angered at all. I apprecialte all the information you can provided me. I'll make one last scan of the Tang to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me on any maker's marks. I fully understand your point and that could be the case with this sword.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Joel

cheers Joel

all the best

chris

• 4 months later...

As I am a new member, I am entering this thread a little late. Your blade is an older blade and likely the cut down front end of a mass produced sword from the 16th century. Due to the condition of the blade, it is quite difficult to further identify the school of swordmakers. The quality of the civilian style fittings and the same or ray skin under the handle is low grade. The tsuba or hand guard is cast iron of 19th century origin. This would indicate to me that this is not a blade of great merit from an artistic standpoint. Many lower end blaqdes were donated to the war effort. The soldier could also have purchased this sword from a dealer in Japan

Best regards,

Bob