News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently purchased a two place medal bar for the 1914 EKII and 1870-1871 medal, the price was was very reasonable even if the two didn't belong together. The seller claims they belong together on the bar and it came with a postcard. I was hoping someone might be able to either translate the postcard to help give an indication of whether the guy in the postcard was the actual recipient. The date of the postcard is 1916, now the guy looks older than your average conscript but not quite approaching pensionable age! Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by Richarddwh

I recently purchased a two place medal bar for the 1914 EKII and 1870-1871 medal, the price was was very reasonable even if the two didn't belong together. The seller claims they belong together on the bar and it came with a postcard. I was hoping someone might be able to either translate the postcard to help give an indication of whether the guy in the postcard was the actual recipient. The date of the postcard is 1916, now the guy looks older than your average conscript but not quite approaching pensionable age! Any help is much appreciated.

Well, there's not much chance they belong together. Highly improbable that you would find an 1870/71 KDM with no other awards until a 1914 EK2... not to mention the age consideration... My guess would be you're either missing an Honor Cross, Combattant, or depending on what the bar actually looks like you might have a nice early mounting that matches up with the 1870/71 KDM and you're missing an 1870 EK2!

Stogieman is 100% correct-as usual. I'd bet on an HKx being part of the bar.

However, I have a photo of a Landwehr Lt. in 1916 wearing an 1871 medal and centennial ribbon bar with a 1914 in the buttohole. Some kind person wrote along the side who he was and which regiment he served in in 1870 in old style Sutterlein.