News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

8th London - Post Office Rifles

Spasm

Gents

2nd Lt James Middleton Barratt of the Post Office Rifles is entered in the London Gazette on 7 Nov 1918 (pg 13146) and the Edinburgh Gazette on 11 Nov 1918 (pg 4122) as having been awarded the MC:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. As acting Adjutant of the battalion his efforts during our advance was unceasing, and he made several personal reconnaissances under very heavy fire, which were productive of valuable results, as a dangerous gap was in consequence filled up in time. Though wounded, he remained at duty until relieved. His gallantry and untiring zeal were conspicuous throughout the operations."

Although I have the Battalion's whereabouts and battles that they were involved in, I cannot discover at which action/battle James Barratt was awarded the MC. I assume it was late in the war given the gazette dates.

Anyone have any information on James?

Boris

Yes, I have his medal card, some of his census records, his death notice, both the Edinburgh and London gazettes notices, a few pages from the Forces War Records and his original dog tags. But nothing on where he earned his MC.

Boris

Thanks for that - but it doesn't say where the action took place. It says what was awarded and why, but doesn't say where. Or am I missing something too obvious to see.

Spas,

If you google Post Office Rifles you will find that there is a history of them available from Military and Naval press and lists honours and awards, cost under a fiver. I don't know whether you already have this and its not of much use.

Paul

Paul thanks

Yes, I already have that. It is a good small potted history of the Battalion written in Feb 1919 by their CO Lieutenant-Colonel A.D. Derviche-Jones DSO MC.

But, alas, the list of honours is exactly that, a list of names below the awards, no dates or places. 2nd Lt. J.M. Barratt is amongst the 36 MC awardees listed.

Perhaps I'll order the Battalion's War Diaries from the National Archives but I'm not sure if that will even have the details I'm looking for.

Edited by Spasm