News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake or not? Cross Terza Armata - cross Quarta Armata

Rocketscientist,

Regarding the Terza Armata, is this the model with the error you were refering to?

Is it pricy and do you know its value on the market? Do fakes of this specific model exist?

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.

Correct. Fassino is the manufacturer who produced the mistaken medal. His mintmark shall always be there on all RICONOCSENZA medals.

As far as I know the obverse is identical to the correct open from the same factory, to spot fake you should compare the obverse with a sure original (even without the error).

As far as the medal you've posted is concerned, I like it.

For the price, I'm not the right person to help you. I would make a statistic on bay's closed auctions.

cheers

sergio

I think we should wait for more experts giving their opinions. I looked for original L.Fassino 3rd Army Crosses on the internet and made this collage.

I see many differences in the medal you posted, j-sk, with respect to the others. One of the most evident is in the crown. Maybe there are variations also in the Fassino's production, this I don't know.

Please note that the two medals taken for comparison are not confirmed originals, even if both have Fassino markings on the reverse.

Book: Medaglie a croce FF. AA. 1900/1989, by A. Brambilla and I. Fossati.

Very good book nicely illutrated.

The few pictures of officers and men are very interesting as well in their showing the way WW1 soldiers used to wear their medals on the chest.

I have noticed that - on the contrary to other nations, France excluded - they did not wear all their medals on one single multiple bar, one medal covering half of the next one, but every medal clearly separated from the other on two or three rows. Was that a general habit in the Italian army or was it possible to wear them in one row only (one medal on top of the other)?

Edited by j-sk

The ribbons should not be overimposed. The standard size is 37mm. The medals, however, have different sizes. Thus sometimes you have medals overimposed and sometimes not. If I remember well, the general rule is to have no more than 4 medals in each row.

Here are two medal bars from Gen. Vaccaro, with some little things not properly regular:

702.jpg703.jpg

Here is an interesting and very impressive "medagliere" of a brave Italian nurse named Teresa Floreale (see attachment).

As you can see, the SEVEN medals on the top row are attached to what looks like a typical Italian medal bar... which adds to my confusion regarding the wearing of these medals...

I take this opportunity to pay a tribute to those unarmed non-combattants who, whatever the circumstances and especially on a theatre of operations, display great courage and are an example to all.

We shall remember them!

Here is an interesting and very impressive "medagliere" of a brave Italian nurse named Teresa Floreale (see attachment).

As you can see, the SEVEN medals on the top row are attached to what looks like a typical Italian medal bar... which adds to my confusion regarding the wearing of these medals...

I take this opportunity to pay a tribute to those unarmed non-combattants who, whatever the circumstances and especially on a theatre of operations, display great courage and are an example to all.

We shall remember them!

seven ribbons of 37mm in a row without overlap means 277mm of breast to cover... I would say that that medal bar was never worn, actually. I think it is just a setup for the display. :whistle:

As far as the non-combatant serving motherland in wartime, I join you, j-sk, in remembering them all.

cheers

sergio