News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

opinions please guyshttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-10499-0-35259900-1393758506.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-10499-0-47540300-1393758516.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-10499-0-50983100-1393758529.jpg

My impression is that any piece of Army-issue kit will be regimentally marked, and probably personally marked as well. Otherwise how do know it's yours?

Also, what are the odds that a helmet that saw active service in 1879 would be in that kind of condition?

Michael

Sounds as if it has been put together as part of a display. Mind you - if it could be proved to have been from

the Zulu War, then you would be looking at thousands.

Despite 24 years with the shop, I ever only had one piece of uniform - that could be proved to have been from

the 24th. This came from a Zulu Kraal and the left arm of the tunic had been pierced with a spear. You could

clearly see the entry and exit cuts in the cloth. The arm of the tunic had a 'rusty' looking stain running to the sleeve,

thus was tested and was 120 year old blood. What a pity they didn't have someone to DNA test - we would have

known the casualty. Because it was so rare, I donated it to the Museum at Ulundi and it is sill in a sealed glass case.

Blueman - just in case of a link - check the Martini Henry - what are the numbers and markings ? Mervyn

There are several companies making an selling these in the UK and elsewhere and, of course, there would have been at least a couple hundred made for the making of the movie "Zulu" and possibly other period films of that ilk. The 24th Foot plate is very commonly reproduced.

Not my field exactly, But I'm almost certain that a suede leather sweat band isn't right for these helmets.

Where are our helmet experts - we have at least two - on this one?

Peter

I don't think that the 24th wore tunics without facings (green) and collar.

I suspect the tunic is a reproduction, but why not do it properly?

The Martini and bayonet are probably original, but I doubt if they are marked to the 24th.

Michael

Am I correct in saying the rifle alone is worth that sort of dough. Given the impression of the spear and plate wouldn't this lot have sold for much more even it was close to being correct.