News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can You ID This Badge?

I have had this badge since early 2002 and I have no idea what it is or whether it has any value. I'm posting it in this thread because it seems related. It may be just a tourist bauble or it may have some historical interest. I simply don't know.

It is 1 7/16" tall by 7/8" wide, or 3.3cm x 2.2 cm. It weighs 6.36 grams. It has five colors of enamel -- two reds, white, black and green.

On the back are the letters (as best I can read them)" "GFS GESC_" . The last letter, if such it is, looks like a T rotated 90 degrees to the left, but I think it may be a mis-struck H, lacking the right side.

Can any of you tell me a) what it is, and b) whether it has any significant value?

Thank you.

Chuck

I have had this badge since early 2002 and I have no idea what it is or whether it has any value. I'm posting it in this thread because it seems related. It may be just a tourist bauble or it may have some historical interest. I simply don't know.

It is 1 7/16" tall by 7/8" wide, or 3.3cm x 2.2 cm. It weighs 6.36 grams. It has five colors of enamel -- two reds, white, black and green.

On the back are the letters (as best I can read them)" "GFS GESC_" . The last letter, if such it is, looks like a T rotated 90 degrees to the left, but I think it may be a mis-struck H, lacking the right side.

Can any of you tell me a) what it is, and b) whether it has any significant value?

Thank you.

Chuck

Hallo Chuck, :beer:

I would say the piece is a WW1 patriotic commemorative one for Austro-Hungaria and Prussia, the colours on the sides red white and green are the Hungarian National colours. the centre piece, with red over and under white I believe to represent Austria, the Crown is again the Hungarian style, the Iron Cross tribute to Prussia.

And finaly the "GFS GESC_" is probably GES GESCHUTZ, which is the German and Austrian sign for "Patent Applied For" or "Patent Protected."

As to value depends on the collector of such pieces Ebay Germany / Austria section is full of similar items from as low as 5 Bucks upwards.

The section for questions and help to id would more correctly be the "Guests Valuation & Identification Forum" :P

Kev in Dev.

Edited by Kev in Deva

Thanks for the information Kev, and for reminding me of the Guests Valuation & Identification Forum.

I think I picked this badge up when I was in my "I'll take one of everything" stage of collecting. That had a lot to do with there being next to nothing to do in Tbilisi in my free time. I just came across it again when I was sorting some things out to put in the upcoming auction.

Chuck

Chuck,

These enameled Austro Hungarian badges are quite sought after, even the patriotic/civilian versions. I would guess that one with this much visual appeal and the Iron Cross motif would be worth somewhere in the range of $40-$50, perhaps more for the right buyer.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chuck,

These enameled Austro Hungarian badges are quite sought after, even the patriotic/civilian versions. I would guess that one with this much visual appeal and the Iron Cross motif would be worth somewhere in the range of $40-$50, perhaps more for the right buyer.

Chip

Thank you, Chip. I have no special attachment to this badge and I don't collect any German themes. I think I'll include it in my auctions, which I hope to have time to prepare next week. I'll open the bidding just below the range you suggest.

Chuck